Evaluating a double integral with an e^(x^2) term

In summary: The parabola looks like it's at y = x2 and the rectangle is a third of it, so that the diagonal of the rectangle goes through the vertex of the parabola.
cwbullivant

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫(0-1)∫(sqrt(y)-1) (ye^(x^2))/x^3 dx dy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, factor out the y for the inner integral, making

∫(0-1) y∫(sqrt(y)-1) (e^(x^2))/x^3 dx dy

And evaluating the inner integral first:

y∫(sqrt(y)-1) (e^(x^2))/x^3 dx

And I'm not sure where to go with this one... I initially suspected integration by parts, which breaks down to:

y[-(e^(x^2))/2x^2 - ∫-(e^(x^2))/x dx]

But I have no idea how to integrate that second integral. U-substitution doesn't work as the x is in the wrong place, parts leads to a ∫(-2x)(ln|x|)(e^(x^2))dx term, and none of the other techniques I can think of seem applicable. I would try switching the order of the integrals, but given the sqrt(y) bound on the dx integral, I'm not sure that would lead to a coherent answer.

Apologies if it's difficult to read, but I don't know how to use latex yet...

Physics news on Phys.org
cwbullivant said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫(0-1)∫(sqrt(y)-1) (ye^(x^2))/x^3 dx dy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, factor out the y for the inner integral, making

∫(0-1) y∫(sqrt(y)-1) (e^(x^2))/x^3 dx dy

And evaluating the inner integral first:

y∫(sqrt(y)-1) (e^(x^2))/x^3 dx

And I'm not sure where to go with this one... I initially suspected integration by parts, which breaks down to:

y[-(e^(x^2))/2x^2 - ∫-(e^(x^2))/x dx]

But I have no idea how to integrate that second integral. U-substitution doesn't work as the x is in the wrong place, parts leads to a ∫(-2x)(ln|x|)(e^(x^2))dx term, and none of the other techniques I can think of seem applicable. I would try switching the order of the integrals, but given the sqrt(y) bound on the dx integral, I'm not sure that would lead to a coherent answer.

Apologies if it's difficult to read, but I don't know how to use latex yet...
You're not going to get far integrating e-x2 .

Sketch the area of integration, and change the order of integration.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
You're not going to get far integrating e-x2 . That result involves the "error function".

Sketch the area of integration, and change the order of integration.

I reversed the order of integration, and the single integral after integrating the dy integral is

∫(sqrt(y)-1) ex2/2x3 dx

Which seems to be just as problematic as the first integral, as the only difference after using parts is that the next integral will have a -1/2x rather than -1/x

I gather that your original integral was
[itex]\displaystyle
\int_0^1\int_{\sqrt{y}}^{1}\,y\frac{e^{x^2}}{x^3}dx\,dy[/itex]​

What do you get for the limits of integration.for y and then for x after swichng the order of integration?

SammyS said:
I gather that your original integral was
[itex]\displaystyle
\int_0^1\int_{\sqrt{y}}^{1}\,y\frac{e^{x^2}}{x^3}dx\,dy[/itex]​

What do you get for the limits of integration.for y and then for x after swichng the order of integration?

Though I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, the limits for y seem like they should still be 0-1, and I'm not sure how to change them for x after switching the order (I didn't know they would change at all, as I originally thought the y term in the bounds of the original integral made it impossible to change them).

I have sketched the area, and do see the area to be integrated, though I'm not sure where to go from there.

EDIT: Do the x bounds become 0 to 1? Given that sqrt(y) and x = 1 meet at y = 1 (and the coordinates would be (1,1)), and sqrt(y) exists only in quadrant I, it appears to make sense.

Last edited:
cwbullivant said:
Though I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, the limits for y seem like they should still be 0-1, and I'm not sure how to change them for x after switching the order (I didn't know they would change at all, as I originally thought the y term in the bounds of the original integral made it impossible to change them).

I have sketched the area, and do see the area to be integrated, though I'm not sure where to go from there.

EDIT: Do the x bounds become 0 to 1? Given that sqrt(y) and x = 1 meet at y = 1 (and the coordinates would be (1,1)), and sqrt(y) exists only in quadrant I, it appears to make sense.
Have you sketched the region of integration for the original integral ? It's essential that the region of integration is the same, no matter which order of integration is used.

Solve ##\ x = \sqrt{y\,}\ ## for y .

Yes, x will go from 0 to 1 .

SammyS said:
Have you sketched the region of integration for the original integral ? It's essential that the region of integration is the same, no matter which order of integration is used.

Solve ##\ x = \sqrt{y\,}\ ## for y .

Yes, x will go from 0 to 1 .

It sounds like the y bounds would need to change as well... Would I want to leave them at 0 to 1, or perhaps change it to 0 to e(x2)?

cwbullivant said:
It sounds like the y bounds would need to change as well... Would I want to leave them at 0 to 1, or perhaps change it to 0 to e(x2)?

ex2 is part of the integrand - it has nothing to do with the region over which integration is taking place.

Can you describe, in words, what this region looks like?

In an integral such as
[itex]\displaystyle
\int_0^1f(y)\left(\int_{\sqrt{y}}^{1}\,f(x)\,dx\,\right)dy[/itex]
what does it mean for the limits of integration for x to be [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\ [/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \ 1\ ?[/itex]

SammyS said:
In an integral such as
[itex]\displaystyle
\int_0^1f(y)\left(\int_{\sqrt{y}}^{1}\,f(x)\,dx\,\right)dy[/itex]
what does it mean for the limits of integration for x to be [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\ [/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \ 1\ ?[/itex]

That the x component goes from left to right, from 0 to [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\ [/itex], stopping at 1 (Presumably simultaneous with the infinitesimal increments that bring y from 0 to 1)?

Mark44 said:
ex2 is part of the integrand - it has nothing to do with the region over which integration is taking place.

I don't think I have it sketched correctly, but I can try. What I have looks like a very small incline in the first quadrant between x = 0 and x = 1.

cwbullivant said:
That the x component goes from left to right, from 0 to [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\ [/itex], stopping at 1 (Presumably simultaneous with the infinitesimal increments that bring y from 0 to 1)?
No.

It means that x goes from [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\,}\ [/itex] to 1 .

I still haven't seen your result for solving [itex]\displaystyle \ x=\sqrt{\,y\,}\ [/itex] for y.

cwbullivant said:
I don't think I have it sketched correctly, but I can try. What I have looks like a very small incline in the first quadrant between x = 0 and x = 1.
Try expressing the bounds as algebraic inequalities relating 0, 1, x and y. That should give you a form which is independent of the order, so is a stepping stone to reversing the order.

SammyS said:
No.

It means that x goes from [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\,}\ [/itex] to 1 .

I still haven't seen your result for solving [itex]\displaystyle \ x=\sqrt{\,y\,}\ [/itex] for y.

For x = sqrt(y), y = x2 (though obviously only the part of x2 that exists in quadrant one for the purposes of this integral)?

Mark44 said:

Rereading that, I think I realize the problem. I was trying to put the ex2 as part of the region. I'm almost positive I've got the right picture now; it looks marginally similar to the bottom right corner of a box with a circle inscribed inside (with the region itself being the area below the curve of the circle, though the curve I have is given by x = sqrt(y), and is clearly not of uniform curvature like a circle would be).

If we change the order, does the y order become 0 to x2?

Last edited:
cwbullivant said:
Yes. The algebra is straightforward:
Original bounds: y from 0 to 1, x from sqrt(y) to 1.
In algebra: 0 <= y <= 1, sqrt(y) <= x <= 1;
0 <= y <= 1, y <= x2 <= 1;
Since sqrt() is defined to be nonnegative, x >= 0. Conversely, for any x in (0, 1) there exists y s.t. 0 < y < x2. Thus the range for x is 0 to 1, and for y it is 0 to x2.
Can you do the integral wrt y now?

cwbullivant said:
For x = sqrt(y), y = x2 (though obviously only the part of x2 that exists in quadrant one for the purposes of this integral)?

Yes, y goes from 0 to x2.

Hopefully, now you can complete the integration by changing the order of integration.

Below are some details addressing what we were trying to get at in helping you change the order of integration.

A graph of [itex]\displaystyle \ x=\sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\ [/itex] along with x = 1 :

attachment.php?attachmentid=57244&stc=1&d=1364567403.gif

So for the original integral, for each value of y between 0 and 1, x goes from [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\ [/itex] to [itex]\displaystyle \ 1\ .[/itex]

If the order of integration is reversed, then for each value of x between 0 and 1, y goes from o to x2.

haruspex was trying to get you to write the region of integration as a set of inequalities.
[itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\le x\ [/itex]

x ≤ 1

0 ≤ y​

Notice that if [itex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\,y\phantom{I}\,}\le x\,,\ [/itex] then y ≤ x2 .

Attachments

• Region of Integration.gif
    Region of Integration.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 707

Related to Evaluating a double integral with an e^(x^2) term

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves finding the area under a three-dimensional surface in a specific region of the coordinate plane.

How do I evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. Then, you can use various methods such as the rectangular, polar, or spherical coordinate systems to solve the integral.

What is the e^(x^2) term in a double integral?

The e^(x^2) term is an exponential function that represents the rate of change of a quantity over time. In a double integral, this term is typically found in the integrand and signifies a curved surface.

Why is it important to evaluate a double integral with an e^(x^2) term?

Evaluating a double integral with an e^(x^2) term is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the area under a curved surface in a specific region. This is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common techniques for evaluating double integrals with an e^(x^2) term?

Some common techniques for evaluating double integrals with an e^(x^2) term include using substitution, integration by parts, or converting the integral into a single integral through the use of symmetry.