Evaluating a Sum Problem: Find Value

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of a infinite sum involving the nearest integer function. The conversation includes an attempt at finding a pattern for the number of times a specific number is repeated in the sum and concludes that a number $k$ is repeated $2k$ times. The conversation also acknowledges the help of another person in understanding the problem.
Saitama
Problem:
Let $[x]$ be the nearest integer to $x$. (For $x=n+\frac{1}{2}, n\in \mathbb{N}$, let $[x]=n$).

Find the value of
$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{[\sqrt{m}]^3}$$

Attempt:

I tried writing down a few terms and saw that $1$ repeats $2$ times, $2$ repeats $4$ times but I didn't check it for three. I think $k$ repeats $2k$ times but is there way to come to this conclusion without checking a few initial numbers and avoid the laborious calculation?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $[x]$ be the nearest integer to $x$. (For $x=n+\frac{1}{2}, n\in \mathbb{N}$, let $[x]=n$).

Find the value of
$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{[\sqrt{m}]^3}$$

Attempt:

I tried writing down a few terms and saw that $1$ repeats $2$ times, $2$ repeats $4$ times but I didn't check it for three. I think $k$ repeats $2k$ times but is there way to come to this conclusion without checking a few initial numbers and avoid the laborious calculation?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

do you want is nearest to $\sqrt{x}$

then let us look at the numbers nearest to $m^2$ they are from $m^2-(m-1)$ to $m^2+m$ that is m occurs 2m times

Hey Pranav! ;)

Let's see how often any specific number $k$ is repeated.If we would have $\sqrt m =k+\frac 1 2$, the number $k$ would just be repeated a last time.
That is, when we would have $m=(k+\frac 1 2)^2 = k^2+k+\frac 1 4$.
Since $m$ is an integer, $k$ is repeated for the last time when $m=k^2+k$.Consequently, $k-1$ was last repeated when $m=(k-1)^2+(k-1)$.
In other words, the number $k$ is repeated $\Big(k^2+k\Big) - \Big((k-1)^2+(k-1)\Big) = 2k$ times.Yes! You were right! (Sun)

I like Serena said:
Hey Pranav! ;)

Let's see how often any specific number $k$ is repeated.If we would have $\sqrt m =k+\frac 1 2$, the number $k$ would just be repeated a last time.
That is, when we would have $m=(k+\frac 1 2)^2 = k^2+k+\frac 1 4$.
Since $m$ is an integer, $k$ is repeated for the last time when $m=k^2+k$.Consequently, $k-1$ was last repeated when $m=(k-1)^2+(k-1)$.
In other words, the number $k$ is repeated $\Big(k^2+k\Big) - \Big((k-1)^2+(k-1)\Big) = 2k$ times.Yes! You were right! (Sun)

That was really nicely presented and explained. Thanks a lot ILS! :) (Sun)

I would approach this problem by first looking for patterns or relationships that can help simplify the calculation. One possible approach is to rewrite the summation as follows:

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{[\sqrt{m}]^3} = \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\lfloor\sqrt{m}\rfloor^3}$$

where $\lfloor\sqrt{m}\rfloor$ represents the nearest integer to $\sqrt{m}$. This allows us to focus on the values of $\sqrt{m}$ rather than the values of $m$ itself.

Next, we can notice that the terms in the summation can be grouped together based on their nearest integer value. For example, all the terms where $\lfloor\sqrt{m}\rfloor = 1$ will be grouped together, followed by all the terms where $\lfloor\sqrt{m}\rfloor = 2$, and so on. This grouping can be represented as follows:

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\lfloor\sqrt{m}\rfloor^3} = \left(\frac{1}{1^3} + \frac{1}{1^3} + \frac{1}{1^3} + \dots\right) + \left(\frac{1}{2^3} + \frac{1}{2^3} + \frac{1}{2^3} + \dots\right) + \left(\frac{1}{3^3} + \frac{1}{3^3} + \frac{1}{3^3} + \dots\right) + \dots$$

Now, we can use the geometric series formula to simplify each group:

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\lfloor\sqrt{m}\rfloor^3} = \left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^3 + \left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^3 + \left(\frac{3}{6}\right)^3 + \dots$$

Finally, we can use the relationship between $k$ and $2k$ that you noticed to simplify the calculation even further:

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty

FAQ: Evaluating a Sum Problem: Find Value

1. What is a sum problem?

A sum problem is an arithmetic problem that requires adding two or more numbers together to find a total or sum.

2. How do I evaluate a sum problem?

To evaluate a sum problem, you must add the given numbers using the correct order of operations. This typically involves adding numbers within parentheses first, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and then addition and subtraction from left to right.

3. What is the importance of following the order of operations in evaluating a sum problem?

The order of operations is crucial in evaluating a sum problem because it ensures that the problem is solved correctly and consistently. If the order of operations is not followed, the solution may be incorrect.

4. Can I use a calculator to evaluate a sum problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate a sum problem. However, it is important to understand the order of operations and how to use the calculator properly to ensure accurate results.

5. Is there a quick and easy way to evaluate a sum problem?

There are various strategies and shortcuts that can be used to quickly evaluate a sum problem. One example is using mental math techniques such as rounding or breaking down numbers into smaller, more manageable parts. Another approach is to use a calculator or a computer program to solve the problem.