Evaluating annihilation and creation operators

In summary, we are evaluating various expressions involving operators and kets. The cube of an operator is evaluated by applying the operator multiple times. The ket of a number represents a state with a specific energy level in the quantized harmonic oscillator system. The creation and annihilation operators map between different energy states.
tombrown9g2
1. Evaluate the following (i.e. get rid of the operators):

[itex]\hat{a}^{+}\left|5\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}\left|5\right\rangle,~~~(\hat{a}^{+})^{3}\left|2\right\rangle~~~\hat{a}^{3}\left|2\right\rangle,~~~(\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\left|1\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}^{+}\hat{a}\hat{a}\left|1\right\rangle[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{a}\left|n\right\rangle=\sqrt{n}\left|n-1\right\rangle,~~~\hat{a}^{+}\left|n\right\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}\left|(n+1)\right\rangle[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one is [itex]\sqrt{6}\left|(6)\right\rangle[/itex] and second one [itex]\sqrt{5}\left|(4)\right\rangle[/itex]

However I'm unsure how to evaluate for the others using the equations given. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the cube of an operator mean ? And lose the round brackets inside the bra and ket | and <> symbols (the pun is not intended).

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
What does the cube of an operator mean ? And lose the round brackets inside the bra and ket | and <> symbols (the pun is not intended).

I have no idea how powers affect operators. Can't find any examples in my lecturers notes nor when searching the internet. Really struggling to grasp quantum mechanics as the mathematics I know doesn't seem to apply.

tombrown9g2 said:
I have no idea how powers affect operators.
It's just like ordinary algebra, e.g., ##x^2 := x \, x##.

So can you evaluate ##(a^+)^2|n\rangle## and ##a^2 |n\rangle## now?

Also, you should be able to evaluate ##a^+ a|n\rangle## with the "relevant equations" you already written down.

Ahh I see, you just use the operators one by one. Thanks.
There is one more thing.. what does a ket of a number actually mean?
I understand that for example [itex]\hat{p}\left|\psi\right\rangle~=~ h/i*d/dx~\psi(x)[/itex] but I don't see how this relates to actual numbers?

tombrown9g2 said:
There is one more thing.. what does a ket of a number actually mean?
I understand that for example [itex]\hat{p}\left|\psi\right\rangle~=~ h/i*d/dx~\psi(x)[/itex] but I don't see how this relates to actual numbers?
You didn't specify the context in your original post, so I can only give a broad answer. For the quantized harmonic oscillator, one denotes the ground state (i.e., state of lowest energy) by ##|0\rangle##. The higher energy (eigenstates) are then successively numbered by 1,2,3... etc. The creation and annihilation operators are an example of so-called Ladded Operators which map from one such eigenstate to another. The Wiki page has more info about other contexts.

Related to Evaluating annihilation and creation operators

1. What is the purpose of evaluating annihilation and creation operators?

Evaluating annihilation and creation operators is important in quantum mechanics as they allow us to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. These operators are used to create and destroy particles, making them fundamental in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

2. How do annihilation and creation operators differ?

Annihilation operators are used to remove a particle from a quantum state, while creation operators add a particle to a quantum state. They are essentially opposites and work together to describe the evolution of a quantum system.

3. Can annihilation and creation operators be used to describe any type of particle?

Yes, annihilation and creation operators are used to describe both fermions and bosons, which are the two main types of particles in quantum mechanics. However, the specific properties and behavior of these operators may differ depending on the type of particle being described.

4. How are annihilation and creation operators related to each other?

Annihilation and creation operators are related through their commutation and anti-commutation relations. These relations dictate how the operators behave when applied to the same quantum state, and are essential in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

5. What are some applications of evaluating annihilation and creation operators?

Evaluating annihilation and creation operators has many practical applications, such as in quantum field theory, quantum computing, and particle physics. These operators allow us to describe and manipulate the behavior of particles and their interactions, making them crucial in many areas of modern science and technology.