Evaluating complex integral problem

In summary: So just to make sure I have it right the substitution for the integral is ##u=\sqrt{2a}x## and the integral becomes ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-u^2}e^{-\frac{iku}{\sqrt{2a}}}du##. Then I complete the square of the ##e^{-u^2}## and I have ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-\left(u-\frac{ik}{2\sqrt{2a}}\right)^2 - \frac{k^2}{8a}}du##. After taking out the ##e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}## term I have ##e^{-
Leechie

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble evaluating the integral
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx$$
Where a and k are positive constants

Homework Equations

I've been given the following integral results which may be of help
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx= \sqrt{\pi}$$$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx} dx = \sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The best I can come up with is
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{2a}e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}$$
But I'm not sure this is correct. Would someone be able to explain the steps to take to evaluate this integral so I can attempt to work it out myself. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Leechie said:

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble evaluating the integral
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx$$
Where a and k are positive constants

Homework Equations

I've been given the following integral results which may be of help
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx= \sqrt{\pi}$$$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx} dx = \sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The best I can come up with is
$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{2a}e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}$$
But I'm not sure this is correct. Would someone be able to explain the steps to take to evaluate this integral so I can attempt to work it out myself. Thanks.
Are you talking about using those standard integrals you've posted? Or do you want to derive those standard integrals?

In the first case, it's just a simple substitution, isn't it?

In terms of the answer, I think that factor of ##\sqrt{2a}## should have canceled out.

Sorry, I'll give you the full story. Its an assignment question in which I have to use the overlap rule to find the probability that a measurement of the particles energy will give the ground state. The given wave functions are:
$$Ψ(x,0)=\left(\frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\right)^\frac{1}{4}e^{-ax^2}e^{-ikx}$$$$ψ(x)=\left(\frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\right)^\frac{1}{4}e^{-ax^2}$$
The other integrals ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}## and ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}## where given in the question as integral values which may be useful.

The overlap integral I'm using is:
$$p=\left| \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}ψ^*(x)Ψ(x,0)dx \right|^2 $$
After substituting in the wave function values and simplifying a bit I've eventually ended up with:
$$p=\left| \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx \right|^2$$
Which is where I'm getting stuck.

I was thinking I need to do something to ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx## and get it into the form ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx##. I've tried completing the square and using substitution which is how I got to the answer ##\sqrt{2a}e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}## but I'm not confident I've done it right. Really I just need some help evaluating ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx##. Thanks.

Leechie said:
Sorry, I'll give you the full story. Its an assignment question in which I have to use the overlap rule to find the probability that a measurement of the particles energy will give the ground state. The given wave functions are:
$$Ψ(x,0)=\left(\frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\right)^\frac{1}{4}e^{-ax^2}e^{-ikx}$$$$ψ(x)=\left(\frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\right)^\frac{1}{4}e^{-ax^2}$$
The other integrals ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}## and ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}## where given in the question as integral values which may be useful.

The overlap integral I'm using is:
$$p=\left| \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}ψ^*(x)Ψ(x,0)dx \right|^2 $$
After substituting in the wave function values and simplifying a bit I've eventually ended up with:
$$p=\left| \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx \right|^2$$
Which is where I'm getting stuck.

I was thinking I need to do something to ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx## and get it into the form ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx##. I've tried completing the square and using substitution which is how I got to the answer ##\sqrt{2a}e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}## but I'm not confident I've done it right. Really I just need some help evaluating ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx##. Thanks.
Just do the substitution ##u = \sqrt{2a}x##.

I think you just made an algebraic error the first time.

By the way, when you have a parameter in a standard integral, ##k## in this case, it's best to replace that with a parameter you are not going to use in your working. E.g. Use ##\lambda## here.

That makes it easier than using ##k## for two different things.

Thanks for the tip!
I think this is where I'm getting confused. I thought the substitution ##u=\sqrt{2a}x## would mess the integral up and make it ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-u^2}e^{-ikx} dx##?

Leechie said:
Thanks for the tip!
I think this is where I'm getting confused. I thought the substitution ##u=\sqrt{2a}x## would mess the integral up and make it ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-u^2}e^{-ikx} dx##?

If you can't do integration then QM will be hard indeed. You must substitute ##u## all the way thru the integral. Just replacing ##x## in one place is no good.

Ok, thanks for your help with this.

Related to Evaluating complex integral problem

1. What is a complex integral problem?

A complex integral problem is an integral that involves complex numbers or functions. It is a type of mathematical problem that requires solving for the area under a curve in the complex plane.

2. How do you evaluate a complex integral problem?

To evaluate a complex integral problem, you need to use techniques such as Cauchy's integral formula, contour integration, or the residue theorem. These methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using complex analysis techniques to solve them.

3. What are some common applications of complex integral problems?

Complex integral problems have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. Are there any tips for solving complex integral problems?

Some tips for solving complex integral problems include understanding the properties of complex numbers, familiarizing yourself with complex analysis techniques, and practicing solving similar problems. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use geometric intuition when approaching a complex integral problem.

5. Can complex integral problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex integral problems can have multiple solutions. This is because the complex plane is more complex than the real line, and there can be different paths or contours that can be used to solve the same integral. However, the final answer should always be the same regardless of the approach used.