Evaluating Double Integral: Reversing Order and Simplifying by Parts

In summary, the conversation revolves around the integration of the function f(x,y)=(sin(y))/(x+y) with respect to x between limits of 0 and y. The speaker has found the solution to be (sin(y)) (ln(2y)), but is struggling with the integration with respect to y. The speaker has attempted to integrate by parts but is left with another integral (cos(y))/y dy. They wonder if the result of this integral has something to do with Taylor's series, but ultimately their goal is to reverse the order of the integral and evaluate it. They acknowledge that their method may be incorrect and express gratitude for any help. Upon further inspection, it is noted that their initial calculation for the integral with respect to
chaiyar
Apologies for not being proficient enough in the use of Latex to write this problem properly

I hope it will suffice if I simply describe it:

It is the integration of f(x,y)=(sin(y))/(x+y) with respect to x between limits 0 and y

which I've found to give ( sin(y) ) ( ln(2y) )

This must then be integrated with respect to y, which is where I'm having problems

Integrating by parts, which is the only way I can think of to do it, letting u=ln(2y), dv=sin(y)dy, v=-cos(y) and du=dy/y, just leaves another integral: (cos(y))/y dy

Would I be right in thinking the result of that last integral cos(y) over y has something to do with Taylor's series? This seems overly complicated though and besides the point of the question which is to reverse the order of the integral (which I did) and evaluate it. I'm sure I must be going about it the wrong way, perhaps its not meant to be done by parts?

I realize this is long-winded but I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
chaiyar said:
Apologies for not being proficient enough in the use of Latex to write this problem properly

I hope it will suffice if I simply describe it:

It is the integration of f(x,y)=(sin(y))/(x+y) with respect to x between limits 0 and y

which I've found to give ( sin(y) ) ( ln(2y) )

You should recheck your calculation, since

[tex]\int dx \frac{\sin y}{x+y} = \sin y \ln(x+y) + c.[/tex]

If you integrate from [tex]x=0[/tex] to [tex] x=y[/tex], the logarithmic factor is just a number, leaving a simple integral.

Ahh! You're right! Thanks very much!

Related to Evaluating Double Integral: Reversing Order and Simplifying by Parts

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area between a surface and two variables, such as x and y. It is represented by ∬ f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the function to be integrated and dA represents the small area being calculated.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both variables, which represent the boundaries of the region being integrated. Then, you can use various methods such as the rectangular or polar coordinate system, or the use of iterated integrals, to solve the integral and find the area.

3. What is the difference between a single and a double integral?

A single integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in one variable, while a double integral is used to calculate the area between a surface and two variables. In other words, a single integral is two-dimensional while a double integral is three-dimensional.

4. What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object, determine the center of mass of an object, or find the average value of a function over a given area.

5. What are some common mistakes when evaluating double integrals?

Some common mistakes when evaluating double integrals include incorrect determination of the limits of integration, mixing up the order of integration, and forgetting to include the differential term dA. It is important to carefully check the setup and calculations to avoid these errors.