Evaluating infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals

In summary, the conversation was about trying to solve the infinite sum $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}$ using integrals. The original approach was to use the right-hand Riemann sum, but it was not clear how this could be represented as an integral. The conversation then shifted to using the standard method of solving infinite geometric series, which led to the solution of $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n} = \frac{1}{e-1}$. However, the last part of the conversation focused on trying to find the sum using integration, with the poster presenting their own solution using the integral $\displaystyle \int_{0
Amad27
Hello,

I have began my journey on infinite sums, which are very interesting. Here is the issue:

I am trying to understand this:

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}$ using integrals, what I have though:

$= \displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{m} e^{-n}$

$= \displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{1}{m}\sum_{n=1}^{m} me^{-n}$

So, suppose this is an right-hand Riemann sum, with $m$ *Equal* subintervals.

$f(x_i) = me^{-n}$ represents the *height* of the function, we will have the integral for.

$\Delta(x) = \frac{1}{m}$

But, How can this be represented as an integral?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure this can be solved using integration. The standard way to solve it using Geometric series

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n\geq 0} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x} \,\,\,\, |x| < 1\)

The proof is not difficult if you are interested.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I am not sure this can be solved using integration. The standard way to solve it using Geometric series

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n\geq 0} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x} \,\,\,\, |x| < 1\)

The proof is not difficult if you are interested.
Really? I was really hoping it was. It there a way to write the Riemann Sum:

$\displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty}\frac{1}{m}\sum_{n=1}^{m} me^{-n}$

As an integral form?

Olok said:
Really? I was really hoping it was. It there a way to write the Riemann Sum:

$\displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty}\frac{1}{m}\sum_{n=1}^{m} me^{-n}$

As an integral form?

I thought on this on my own.

What integral evaluate to $e^{-n}$?

$\displaystyle e^{-n} = \int_{0}^{e} -nx^{-(n+1)} \,dx$

Originally, we had, $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}$ This is:

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{e} -nx^{-(n+1)} \,dx$$\displaystyle e^{-n} = \int_{0}^{e} -nx^{-(n+1)} \,dx$

Originally, we had, $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}$ This is:

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{e} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -nx^{-(n+1)} \,dx$

$S_1 = -x^{-2}$
$S_2 = -x^{-2} - 2x^{-3}$
$S_3 = -x^{-2} - 2x^{-3} - 3x^{-4}$
$S_4 = -x^{-2} - 2x^{-3} - 3x^{-4} - 4x^{-5}$

If someone can help me find the sum, I can finish this problem.

To reiterate that posted by ZaidAlyafey ...

The sum of an infinite geometric series is \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{1-r}\) , where \(\displaystyle a\) is the first term and \(\displaystyle r\) is the common ratio such that \(\displaystyle |r| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{e^n} = \frac{\frac{1}{e}}{1 - \frac{1}{e}} = \frac{1}{e-1}\)

FAQ: Evaluating infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals

1. What is the formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals?

The formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals is ∫e^(-x)dx = -e^(-x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How does the formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals relate to the Maclaurin series?

The formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals is derived from the Maclaurin series expansion of e^(-x), which is e^(-x) = 1 - x + x^2/2! - x^3/3! + ..., by integrating both sides and adding a constant of integration.

3. Can the formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals be used for any value of x?

Yes, the formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals can be used for any value of x, as long as the integral is convergent.

4. How does the accuracy of the formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals compare to other methods?

The formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals is considered to be very accurate, especially for larger values of x. It is also a more efficient method compared to other techniques, such as using the Maclaurin series directly.

5. What are some applications of the formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals?

The formula for evaluating an infinite sum for e^(-x) using integrals has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is commonly used to model exponential decay or growth, and can also be applied in solving differential equations.