Evaluating Integrals of Exponential Functions with Dirac Delta

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral of the form \int d^{3}x \hspace{2mm} e^{i(k\cdot x)} and using Euler's formula or Cartesian coordinates to rewrite the exponential. The expert suggests using the Dirac delta function to evaluate the integral.
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

if I have an integral of the form [itex]\int d^{3}x \hspace{2mm} e^{i(k\cdot x)}[/itex], how do I evaluate this?

Thanks a bunch...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that d a constant, or the differential operator, or what?

its the integration of measure, over 3 spatial dimensions

Dixanadu said:
its the integration of measure, over 3 spatial dimensions
How can you rewrite the exponential? Maybe try using Euler's formula if you aren't confident with the exponential.

Write [itex]{\bf k\cdot x}=kx\cos\theta[/itex]. Then do the angular integration.

Or in Cartesian coordinates, write out the dot product in terms of components: ##\vec k \cdot \vec x = k_x x + k_y y + k_z z##.

Dixanadu said:
Hey guys,

if I have an integral of the form [itex]\int d^{3}x \hspace{2mm} e^{i(k\cdot x)}[/itex], how do I evaluate this?
Thanks a bunch...
[itex]\int d^{3}x \hspace{2mm} e^{i(k\cdot x)}=(2\pi)^3\delta({\bf r})[/itex], the Dirac delta function.

Thank you Meir Achuz - that's what I was looking for :D thank you! Thanks everyone else for your help, I guess I should've specified that I was looking for it in terms of the Dirac delta.

FAQ: Evaluating Integrals of Exponential Functions with Dirac Delta

1. What is the formula for the integral of an exponential function?

The formula for the integral of an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do I solve an integral with an exponential function?

To solve an integral with an exponential function, you can use the formula ∫e^x dx = e^x + C and use integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

3. Can the integral of an exponential function be negative?

Yes, the integral of an exponential function can be negative. This can happen when the limits of integration are chosen in such a way that the area under the curve is below the x-axis.

4. What is the relationship between the integral of an exponential function and its derivative?

The integral of an exponential function is the inverse operation of its derivative. This means that the integral and derivative "undo" each other, and the derivative of an integral is the original function.

5. Can the integral of an exponential function be written in terms of other functions?

Yes, the integral of an exponential function can be written in terms of other functions using integration by substitution or other integration techniques. For example, the integral of e^x can be written as ln(e^x) + C = x + C.

Back