Evaluating Line Integral with Green's Theorum

In summary, the conversation discusses using Green's Theorem to evaluate a line integral on the unit circle centered at the origin. The expert suggests applying Green's Theorem properly by finding the values for Qx and Py and parametrizing the circle in counter-clockwise orientation using polar coordinates. This approach leads to the correct solution of -π/4.
Amy Marie

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorum to evaluate the line integral c (x^2)y dx, where c is the unit circle centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the partial derivative with respect to y and subtracting it from zero(I'm taking the dy in the original problem to be zero because there wasn't one), I set up the double integral:

∫y = -1 to y =1 ∫x = -sqrt(1 - (y^2)) to x = sqrt(1 - ( y^2)) -(x^2) dxdy

I'm just kind of confused because there is no dy in the problem, and I'm not sure why the answer was -π/4.
I might not have set it up right because when I put the x bounds into -(x^3)/3, I'm not sure how to then integrate with respect to y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the path is a circle about the origin have you thought of using polar coordinates?

Likes Amy Marie
You should first apply Green's theorem properly.

$$\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C x^2y \space dx + 0 \space dy = \iint_D Q_x - P_y \space dA$$

Where ##\vec F = P \hat i + Q \hat j## and ##d \vec r = \vec r'(t) \space dt = x'(t) \hat i + y'(t) \hat j##.

So what are ##Q_x## and ##P_y##?

Now the curve ##C## is the unit circle ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## in a counter clockwise orientation. How do you parametrize a counter-clockwise circle around the origin? This should give you limits for ##r## and ##\theta##.

Likes Amy Marie and jedishrfu
Zondrina said:
You should first apply Green's theorem properly.

$$\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C x^2y \space dx + 0 \space dy = \iint_D Q_x - P_y \space dA$$

Where ##\vec F = P \hat i + Q \hat j## and ##d \vec r = \vec r'(t) \space dt = x'(t) \hat i + y'(t) \hat j##.

So what are ##Q_x## and ##P_y##?

Now the curve ##C## is the unit circle ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## in a counter clockwise orientation. How do you parametrize a counter-clockwise circle around the origin? This should give you limits for ##r## and ##\theta##.
Thank you...this helped!

jedishrfu said:
Since the path is a circle about the origin have you thought of using polar coordinates?
Thank you...that worked!

Related to Evaluating Line Integral with Green's Theorum

What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate a line integral over a closed curve by converting it into a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. This theorem is named after the mathematician George Green and is an important tool in vector calculus.

When is Green's Theorem used?

Green's Theorem is used in situations where we need to calculate the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve. It is particularly useful in solving problems related to fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields where vector fields are involved.

What are the conditions for using Green's Theorem?

There are two main conditions for using Green's Theorem: the curve must be closed, meaning it starts and ends at the same point, and the vector field must be continuously differentiable in the region enclosed by the curve.

How do you evaluate a line integral with Green's Theorem?

To evaluate a line integral with Green's Theorem, we first need to convert the line integral into a double integral using the formula provided by the theorem. Then, we can use standard methods of integration to solve the double integral and obtain the final result.

What is the significance of Green's Theorem in vector calculus?

Green's Theorem is significant in vector calculus because it allows us to solve certain types of problems more easily by converting them into simpler double integrals. It also helps us to establish a relationship between line integrals and double integrals, and is a fundamental tool in the study of vector fields and their properties.

Back