Evaluating Line Integral: ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy

In summary, the line integral ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy, where C consists of the line segments from (0,0) to (2,1) and (2,1) to (3,0), is equal to 16/3. However, upon further review, it appears that the correct answer is 5/2, indicating that there may be a mistake in the working that was not provided.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy, where C consists of the line segments from (0,0) to (2,1) and (2,1) to (3,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of what to do. I did (1-t)r0 + t(r1) for (0,0) to (2,1) and (2,1) to (3,0). I didn't get the answer, which is 5/2 however.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahhppull said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy, where C consists of the line segments from (0,0) to (2,1) and (2,1) to (3,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of what to do. I did (1-t)r0 + t(r1) for (0,0) to (2,1) and (2,1) to (3,0). I didn't get the answer, which is 5/2 however.

Show us your work and we will help you find what went wrong.

Honestly, I have no idea what to do, but here what I did.

From (0,0) to (2,1)
r(t) = (1-t)<0,0> + t<2,1>
r(t) = <2t,t>

x=2t
y=t

I found that the integral is from 0 to 1.

dx/dt = 2
dy/dt = 1

∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy
Then I set x as 2t and y as t into the equation:

=∫[(2t+2t)(2)+(4t^2)(1)]dt
=∫(8t+4t^2)dt
= 4t^2 +4/3t^3 ] <-----evaluate from 0 to 1
= 4 + 4/3
= 16/3

Then I did this same thing for the from (2,1) to (3,0) and added the two numbers.

ahhppull said:
= 16/3
Then I did this same thing for the from (2,1) to (3,0) and added the two numbers.
I agree with 16/3, and I applied the same method for the second segment to get a total of 5/2. So your mistake must be in working you have not posted.

Related to Evaluating Line Integral: ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the function at each point along the curve.

2. How do you evaluate a line integral?

To evaluate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the given curve by expressing it in terms of a single variable. Then, you can plug this parameterization into the integral and solve for the desired value.

3. What is the formula for evaluating the line integral ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy?

The formula for evaluating the line integral ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy is ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)dy = ∫(x+2y)dx+(x^2)(dy/dx)dx = ∫(x+2y+2x(dy/dx))dx.

4. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve, while a line integral is used to find the total value of a function along a given curve or path. Additionally, a line integral takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the function at each point along the curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate work done by a force along a specific path, calculate the circulation of a fluid, or determine the total cost of a production process along a certain path.

Back