Evaluating Real Integral: Lecture 38 Example | Residue Theorem | Homework Help

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using the first example in Lecture 38 to evaluate the integral of cost * sint from 0 to 2π. The use of the Residue Theorem and substitution methods are mentioned to solve the problem. The individual also expresses confusion about the inclusion of a πi term and the use of symmetry in solving the problem. However, it is noted that the problem can be solved using simple substitution or real methods.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Use the first example in Lecture 38 to evaluate [itex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} cost\: sint \:dt [/itex]

http://s8.postimg.org/ccycky76d/Screen_Shot_2015_04_25_at_9_47_41_PM.png

Homework Equations

Residue theorem, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I mostly understand his work in the example. On a side note, it seems that his notes are a bit terse, but I digress.

I understand the application of the Residue Theorem around the closed path. The upper half circle includes the removable singularity z = i. He integrated around the two half circle paths using z = Re, dz =Riedz and z = re, dz = riedz substitutions. I assume that limits of integration for f(z) = f(re) are π to 0 to complete the path circumscribing the difference between the two upper half circles. For the segment integral -R to -r, why is πi in the numerator? And he equated them to segment integral r to R because of symmetry?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking about two completely different things here. The problem you specify can be solved easily without referring to "Lecture 38", just remembering the formula for sin(2t).

Svein said:
You are talking about two completely different things here. The problem you specify can be solved easily without referring to "Lecture 38", just remembering the formula for sin(2t).
Or even more simply, by using a very simple substitution, u = sin(t).

Svein said:

Yes, I know that, but the problem says to use the first example in Lecture 38. That's why I'm first trying to fully understand the example and then apply it to the problem.

Mark44 said:
Or even more simply, by using a very simple substitution, u = sin(t).

Yes, of course, I know how to integrate this with real methods. I'm simply trying to do what the problem instructs.

You can transform this integral to one in the complex plane, I guess, but the most naive transformation does not lead to an analytic function.
Strange problem.

The best I can figure is to substitute cos θ = (1/2)[z - (1/z)], sin θ = (1/2i)[z - (1/z)], and dz = zidθ and integrate.

Last edited:

Related to Evaluating Real Integral: Lecture 38 Example | Residue Theorem | Homework Help

1. What does it mean to "evaluate" a real integral?

Evaluating a real integral involves finding the numerical value of the integral, which represents the area under a curve on a given interval. This process often requires using mathematical techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to simplify the integral and solve for its value.

2. How do I know which method to use when evaluating a real integral?

There is no one specific method that works for all real integrals. It is important to have a strong understanding of different integration techniques, such as power rule, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions, and to choose the most appropriate method based on the form of the integral.

3. Can a real integral have multiple solutions?

No, a real integral will always have one unique solution. However, the method used to evaluate the integral may result in different forms of the solution, such as an exact value or an infinite series.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a real integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid include incorrectly applying integration techniques, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to always double check your work and be careful with calculations.

5. Can real integrals be evaluated without using calculus?

In most cases, real integrals cannot be evaluated without using calculus. However, there are some special cases where the integral can be evaluated using other mathematical techniques, such as geometry or trigonometry. These cases are typically limited to simple integrals with specific forms.