Evaluating Scalar Field in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the Scalar field ##f(r, \theta, \phi) = \mid 2\hat{r}+3\hat{\phi} \mid## in spherical coords can be solved for by using the law of cosines and the equation: \|\vec{A} + \vec{B}\| = \sqrt{A^2+B^2+2AB\cos \alpha}
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Evaluate the scalar field ##f(r, \theta, \phi)= \mid 2\hat{r}+3\hat{\phi} \mid## in spherical coords.

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines?

##\mid \vec{A} + \vec{B} \mid = \sqrt{A^2+B^2+2ABCos(\theta)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure the law of cosines is exactly what I'm suppose to use but so far it is the only thing that I've found that seems to fit the way the problem is presented.

If this is the correct way then:
##\mid 2\hat{r}+3\hat{\phi} \mid=\sqrt{2^2+3^2+12cos(\theta)}##

Am I doing this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
bowlbase said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the scalar field ##f(r, \theta, \phi)= \mid 2\hat{r}+3\hat{\phi} \mid## in spherical coords.

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines?

##\mid \vec{A} + \vec{B} \mid = \sqrt{A^2+B^2+2ABCos(\theta)}##

The [itex]\theta[/itex] which occurs in this expression is not the spherical coordinate [itex]\theta[/itex]. This is obviously going to be a source of confusion, so you need to find a different letter for the angle between [itex]\vec A[/itex] and [itex]\vec B[/itex], such as [itex]\alpha[/itex]:
[tex]
\|\vec{A} + \vec{B}\| = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2 + 2AB\cos \alpha}
[/tex]

However I think the intended method is to start from
[tex]
\|2 \hat r + 3 \hat \phi\|^2 = (2 \hat r + 3 \hat \phi) \cdot (2 \hat r + 3 \hat \phi)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure the law of cosines is exactly what I'm suppose to use but so far it is the only thing that I've found that seems to fit the way the problem is presented.

If this is the correct way then:
##\mid 2\hat{r}+3\hat{\phi} \mid=\sqrt{2^2+3^2+12cos(\alpha)}##

Am I doing this correctly?

Now all you need is the angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] between [itex]\hat r[/itex] and [itex]\hat \phi[/itex].

I made a mistake. The question should be: ##\mid 2\hat{r} +3\hat{\theta} \mid##

I'm not sure how I would go about finding the angle between the two vectors in spherical. I could probably switch them to Cartesian but is there a simpler way via spherical?

Spherical coordinates are orthogonal coordinates! Thus [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] are orthogonal with unit norm...

So just 90° then?

FAQ: Evaluating Scalar Field in Spherical Coordinates

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a concept in physics that describes a quantity that has a numerical value at every point in space. This quantity can be temperature, pressure, or any other physical property that can be measured and expressed as a single number.

2. How is a scalar field evaluated?

A scalar field is evaluated by calculating the value of the quantity at each point in space. This can be done using mathematical equations or by taking measurements at different points and interpolating between them.

3. What is the difference between a scalar field and a vector field?

The main difference between a scalar field and a vector field is that a scalar field has a single value at each point in space, while a vector field has both magnitude and direction at each point. Examples of vector fields include velocity and electric fields.

4. What are some real-world applications of evaluating scalar fields?

Scalar fields have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include studying temperature distribution in a room, analyzing fluid flow in a pipe, and mapping changes in atmospheric pressure in weather forecasting.

5. How is the accuracy of a scalar field evaluation determined?

The accuracy of a scalar field evaluation depends on the method used to calculate or measure the values at different points in space. It is important to have a sufficient number of data points and to use appropriate mathematical tools to ensure the accuracy of the evaluation.