Evaluating sum using Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series of a function and evaluating a sum using that series. The Fourier series for the function F(t) = |sin(t)| is calculated as f(t) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{4cos(2nt)}{\pi-4\pi n^2} and the sum to be evaluated is \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{4n^2-1}. The approach discussed is to use the Fourier series and choose t to be \frac{\pi}{2} - f(t).
tedwillis
First, I've had to find the Fourier series of [tex]F(t) = |sin(t)|,[/tex] which I've calculated as

[tex]f(t) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{4cos(2nt)}{\pi-4\pi n^2}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure that's right, but now I need to evaluate the sum using the above Fourier series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{4n^2-1}[/tex]

I don't really have any clue about where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if
[tex]f(t)= \frac{2}{\pi}+ \sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{4cos(2nt)}{\pi- 4\pi n^2}[/tex]
it follows that
[tex]-\frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{cos(2nt)}{4n^2- 1}= f(t)- \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
so that
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{cos(2nt)}{4n^2- 1}= \frac{\pi}{4}(\frac{\pi}{2}- f(t))[/tex]

Now, what should you choose t to be?

FAQ: Evaluating sum using Fourier Series

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of simple trigonometric functions. It is used to analyze and approximate complex functions.

2. How is a Fourier series used to evaluate a sum?

A Fourier series is used to evaluate a sum by representing the sum as a periodic function and then using the Fourier series formula to find the coefficients of the trigonometric functions. These coefficients can then be used to approximate the original sum.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic functions. A Fourier series represents a function as a sum of trigonometric functions, while a Fourier transform represents a function as a sum of complex exponential functions.

4. How accurate is the approximation of a sum using a Fourier series?

The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the Fourier series. As more terms are included, the approximation becomes more accurate.

5. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

No, a function must be periodic in order to be represented by a Fourier series. Functions that are not periodic can be represented by a Fourier transform.