Evaluating the angle theta using inverse sin

In summary, to find the angle Θ in sin2Θ = 0.51, you can use the formula Θ = arcsin(0.51). To maximize the range of a projectile, it must leave the horizon at an angle of 45°. This means that sin 2θ = 1, and using the equation R = (Vi^2 * sin2Θ)/g, we can find the degree at which the projectile left the horizon.
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
Find the degree which the projectile left the horizon with.
Relevant Equations
I used R= (Vi^2 * sin2Θ)/g
I just need to know how to find Θ in sin2Θ=0.51
I know I can use Θ = arcsin(0.51)
but what about sin2Θ = 0.51
1685520606135.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The arcsin is just the inverse operation of sin, ##\arcsin( \sin (x)) = x##, so simply keep the factor 2, i.e., set ##x = 2\theta##:
$$
\begin{align*}
\sin 2\theta &= 0.51 \\
\arcsin( \sin 2\theta ) &= \arcsin(0.51) \\
2\theta &= \arcsin(0.51) \\
\theta &= \frac{\arcsin(0.51)}{2}
\end{align*}
$$

Likes Mohmmad Maaitah and Lnewqban
Consider that to maximize the range (R), the projectile must leave the horizon with an angle of 45°.
At that angle, sin 2θ = sin [(2)(45°)] = 1.

Likes Mohmmad Maaitah
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Homework Statement: Find the degree which the projectile left the horizon with.
Relevant Equations: I used R= (Vi^2 * sin2Θ)/g

I just need to know how to find Θ in sin2Θ=0.51
I know I can use Θ = arcsin(0.51)
but what about sin2Θ = 0.51
View attachment 327270

Note that [tex]
g\sin 2\theta = \frac{160}{56^2}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2} = \frac{5}{98}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2}.[/tex] Using [itex]g = 9.8\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2}[/itex] then gives [itex]\sin 2\theta = \frac12[/itex], and [itex]\sin 30^{\circ} = \frac12[/itex] is one of the results which you should know.

pasmith said:
Note that [tex]
g\sin 2\theta = \frac{160}{56^2}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2} = \frac{5}{98}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2}.[/tex] Using [itex]g = 9.8\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2}[/itex] then gives [itex]\sin 2\theta = \frac12[/itex], and [itex]\sin 30^{\circ} = \frac12[/itex] is one of the results which you should know.
Looks like a typo there.

Should be ##\quad \dfrac 1 g \sin 2\theta = \, \dots##

or ##\quad \sin 2\theta = g\dfrac{160}{56^2} \, \dots##

Likes Mohmmad Maaitah

Related to Evaluating the angle theta using inverse sin

What is the inverse sine function?

The inverse sine function, denoted as sin-1 or arcsin, is the function that reverses the sine function. It takes a value between -1 and 1 and returns an angle θ in radians or degrees whose sine is that value.

How do you calculate θ using the inverse sine function?

To calculate θ using the inverse sine function, you use the formula θ = sin-1(x), where x is the value of the sine of the angle. The result θ is the angle whose sine is x. This can be done using a scientific calculator or a mathematical software that supports trigonometric functions.

What is the range of values for θ when using the inverse sine function?

The range of values for θ when using the inverse sine function is from -π/2 to π/2 radians (or -90° to 90°). This is because the sine function only covers these angles within the principal range for it to be a one-to-one function.

Can the inverse sine function be used for values outside the range of -1 to 1?

No, the inverse sine function cannot be used for values outside the range of -1 to 1. The sine of an angle always lies within the interval [-1, 1], so the inverse sine function is only defined for inputs within this range.

What are some common applications of the inverse sine function?

The inverse sine function is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is often used to determine angles in right triangles, to convert between different coordinate systems, and to solve problems involving wave functions and oscillations.