Evaluating the Double Integral of F(bar) in C

In summary, a double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a three-dimensional surface by integrating a function of two variables over a region in the Cartesian plane. To evaluate a double integral, one must determine the limits of integration and use techniques such as Fubini's theorem or substitution. F(bar) represents the function being integrated and C represents the region of integration. Double integrals have various applications in science, including physics, engineering, and probability.
andyk23
[itex]\int[/itex] xy^3 dx+ x^5 dy, where C is the rectangle with vertices (0,0), (4,0), (4,2), and (0,2)

F(bar)= <P,Q> <xy^3, x^5>
derivative of P with respect to y= 3xy^2
derivative of Q with respect to x= 5x^4
Double [itex]\int[/itex] (5x^4-3xy^2) dx dy with limits for x from (0,2) and y limits (0,4)
I get 0 for the answer but that is incorrect. I feel like I'm making a small error somewhere. Any guidance would be helpful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you've got your x and y limits reversed.

Related to Evaluating the Double Integral of F(bar) in C

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that is used to calculate the area under a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the Cartesian plane.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various techniques such as Fubini's theorem or the method of substitution to solve the integral.

3. What is F(bar) in the context of a double integral?

In a double integral, F(bar) represents the function being integrated. It is often a two-variable function that describes the surface whose area is being calculated.

4. What does C represent in the double integral?

C is the region of integration, which is the area or volume under consideration. It can be defined by a set of inequalities or geometric shapes such as rectangles or circles.

5. What are some applications of double integrals in science?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities. They are also useful in probability and statistics for calculating joint probabilities and expected values.