Evaluating the limit of a triple-variable function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating a limit with three variables and the difficulty in finding a path that proves the limit does not exist. The person suggests using trial and error and comparing relative powers of the variables in a rational function to determine which curves to check. They also mention that for the two-variable case, using specific lines can be sufficient to show the existence of a limit.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

Find
[tex]\lim_ {(x,y,z) \rightarrow (0,0,0)} \frac{xy + 2yz^2 + 3xz^2}{x2 + y2 + z4}[/tex]
if it exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to evaluate limits with three variables, I tried letting x=y=0, then letting z approach 0. Then y=z=0, letting x approach 0. Then z=x=0, letting y approach 0. All three limits produced 0, but the answer is not 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try paths away from some of the axes, like z=0, x=y.

So I'm just supposed to do trial-and-error to find a path that proves the limit doesn't exist? How would I approach a problem where the limit does exist?

For the two-variable case, I would also use x=0 then y=mx, which would take care of all paths and leave no room for any misses. Is there a way to do such a thing in the three-variable case, at least at my level of math?

I think it is basically trial and error. Even using all lines may not be sufficient to show that a limit exists. For your function, you get different limits along the parabolae y=0, x=z2 and x=0, y=z2. By comparing relative powers of the variable in a rational function, you can usually determine the curves that you need to check.

FAQ: Evaluating the limit of a triple-variable function

1. How do you determine the limit of a triple-variable function?

The limit of a triple-variable function can be determined by approaching the point of interest from different paths and observing the behavior of the function. If the function approaches the same value, regardless of the path taken, then the limit exists at that point.

2. What is the significance of evaluating the limit of a triple-variable function?

Evaluating the limit of a triple-variable function helps us understand the behavior of the function at a certain point and can be used to determine continuity, differentiability, and other important properties of the function.

3. Can the limit of a triple-variable function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a triple-variable function can be undefined if the function approaches different values from different paths, or if the function approaches infinity or negative infinity.

4. Are there any special techniques for evaluating the limit of a triple-variable function?

Yes, there are special techniques such as using polar, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates to simplify the function and make it easier to evaluate the limit. Additionally, using L'Hopital's rule or factoring can also help in certain cases.

5. How can the limit of a triple-variable function be used in real-world applications?

The limit of a triple-variable function can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world situations. For example, in engineering, the limit can be used to determine the maximum load a structure can handle before collapsing.