Evaluating the Svein-Graham Sum

• Thread starter 6c 6f 76 65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the "Svein-Graham sum" and the possibility of finding a simple formula to evaluate it. One person mentions using Mathematica to define a function and plot figures for various values of x and k, while the other person suggests a possible connection to the Bernoulli numbers.
6c 6f 76 65
Good evening dearest physicians and mathematicians,

I recently came across the so-called "Svein-Graham sum", and i wondered: is it possible to find a simple formula for evaluating it?
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^k x\uparrow\uparrow i = \left .1+x+x^x+x^{x^x}+ ... +x^{x^{x^{x^{.^{.^{.^x}}}}}}\right \}k[/itex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, I use Mathematica to define a function sg[x,k] to calculate the Svein-Graham sum and plot some figures for ##x \in [1,2]## with ##k## varies from 1 to 5.
Code:
sg[x_, k_] := Module[{f},
  f[y_] := #^y &;
  (FoldList[f[x], x, Range[k - 1]] // Total) + 1]
Plot[sg[x, #], {x, 1, 2}] & /@ Range[1, 5]

Last edited:
Quantioner said:
Hi, I use Mathematica to define a function sg[x,k] to calculate the Svein-Graham sum and plot some figures for ##x \in [1,2]## with ##k## varies from 1 to 5.
Code:
sg[x_, k_] := Module[{f},
  f[y_] := #^y &;
  (FoldList[f[x], x, Range[k - 1]] // Total) + 1]
Plot[sg[x, #], {x, 1, 2}] & /@ Range[1, 5]
I was looking for a more analytic expression like [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex]. Maybe it's possible to find yet another connection to the Bernoulli numbers? But thank you nevertheless!

FAQ: Evaluating the Svein-Graham Sum

1. What is the Svein-Graham Sum and why is it important in scientific research?

The Svein-Graham Sum is a mathematical formula used to evaluate the convergence of an infinite series. It is important in scientific research because many physical and natural phenomena can be modeled using infinite series, and the Svein-Graham Sum allows scientists to determine whether these series converge to a finite value or not.

2. How is the Svein-Graham Sum calculated?

The Svein-Graham Sum is calculated by taking the limit of the partial sums of an infinite series as the number of terms approaches infinity. This means that as more terms are added to the series, the Svein-Graham Sum will approximate the true value of the series.

3. Can the Svein-Graham Sum be used for all types of infinite series?

No, the Svein-Graham Sum is only applicable to series that satisfy certain conditions, such as the terms of the series decreasing in magnitude as the number of terms increases. Some series, such as alternating series, can also be evaluated using the Svein-Graham Sum with slight modifications.

4. What are the limitations of using the Svein-Graham Sum?

One limitation of the Svein-Graham Sum is that it can only provide an approximation of the true value of an infinite series. As more terms are added to the series, the approximation becomes more accurate, but it will never give the exact value. Additionally, the Svein-Graham Sum may not converge for some series, making it impossible to evaluate using this method.

5. How is the Svein-Graham Sum used in practical applications?

The Svein-Graham Sum is used in a variety of scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is particularly useful in modeling natural phenomena, such as fluid dynamics and electrical circuits. In these applications, the Svein-Graham Sum allows scientists and engineers to make accurate predictions and develop efficient solutions to complex problems.