Evaluating the Work Integral Between Two Points

In summary, the homework statement is to evaluate the work integral, W, between the points (5, 30/pi) and (2, 8/pi), using the potential function.
Charge2

Homework Statement

Evaluate the Work Integral,
## I = \int_\Gamma [ (\frac{y} {x^2 + y^2} + 1) dx - \frac{x} {x^2+y^2}dy]##
between the points (5, 30/pi) and (2,8/pi), using the potential function. Pesent your answer in exact form.

Homework Equations

##W = \int F . dr##
##\int_\Gamma (Pdx+Qdy)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually, we are given the curve along the line. This question we have not.

(5 - 2) and (30/pi - 8/pi) is the region between the points is it not?

Or do I rearange the given formula I, for y?

Do we even use the line integral formula, or use Green's Theorem instead?Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use "Green's theorem" because that requires an integral around a closed path. However, this problem said "using the potential function" which certainly implies that there is a potential function! That is, that there exist a function, F(x,y), such that [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= \frac{y}{x^2+ y^2}+ 1[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= -\frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. Find that function and evaluate at the endpoints. (That is, the "work" is the change in potential between the two points.)

Likes Charge2
HallsofIvy said:
You can't use "Green's theorem" because that requires an integral around a closed path. However, this problem said "using the potential function" which certainly implies that there is a potential function! That is, that there exist a function, F(x,y), such that [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= \frac{y}{x^2+ y^2}+ 1[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= -\frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. Find that function and evaluate at the endpoints. (That is, the "work" is the change in potential between the two points.)
Ok so I've obtained the partial derivatives,
##\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= \frac{-2yx}{(x^2+ y^2)^2}##
##\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= \frac{2yx}{(x^2+ y^2)^2}##

Now, do I integrate from the points,

##I =\int^5_2 [\frac{-2yx}{(x^2+ y^2)^2}+ \frac{2yx}{(x^2+ y^2)^2}] = [\frac{-2y5}{(5^2+ y^2)^2}+ \frac{2y5}{(5^2+ y^2)^2}] - [\frac{-2y2}{(2^2+ y^2)^2}+ \frac{2y2}{(2^2+ y^2)^2}] = 0 ##

Would that not just equal zero, even with the y values substituted in place? Making this a conservative system? I've most definitely done this the wrong way, haven't I?.

Last edited:
Charge2 said:
Ok so I've obtained the partial derivatives,
##\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= \frac{-2yx}{(x^2+ y^2)^2}##
##\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= \frac{2yx}{(x^2+ y^2)^2}##

I've most definitely done this the wrong way, haven't I?.
Yes, that is wrong. You are given ##F_x = \frac y {x^2+y^2}+1## and ##F_x =\frac{-x}{x^2+y^2}##. You have differentiated them and called them the same things. To find a potential function you must find an ##F(x,y)## whose partial derivatives agree with what is given. This means you need to find anti-partial derivatives. Integrate, not differentiate. And your answer will be of the form ##F(x,y) = ...## Surely your text must have examples for finding potential functions.

Likes Charge2
I've practiced very little with line integrals. I've done some further research and I think I have come up with a solution. I am very new to latex so I written a brief summary.

After doing the partial derivatives, they equated to each other. I think this shows that we can find a potential function. A check. Even though it is implied in the question

I then found the potential function by integrating and differentiating with respect to y. Obtaining,

##f(x,y)=\tan^-1 \frac{x}{y} + x ##

Inputting the given points, obtaining the answer,

##W = f(2,8/pi) - f(5,30/pi)##
## = tan^-1\frac{2}{8/pi} + 2 - tan^-1\frac{5}{30/pi} - 5##
## = tan^-1\frac{pi}{4} - tan^-1\frac{pi}{6} - 3 ##

Last edited:
Charge2 said:
I've practiced very little with line integrals. I've done some further research and I think I have come up with a solution. I am very new to latex so I written a brief summary.

After doing the partial derivatives, they equated to each other. I think this shows that we can find a potential function. A check. Even though it is implied in the question

I then found the potential function by integrating and differentiating with respect to y. Obtaining,

##f(x,y)=\tan^-1 \frac{x}{y} + x ##

Inputting the given points, obtaining the answer,

##W = f(2,8/pi) - f(5,30/pi)##
## = tan^-1\frac{2}{8/pi} + 2 - tan^-1\frac{5}{30/pi} - 5##
## = tan^-1\frac{pi}{4} - tan^-1\frac{pi}{6} - 3 ##

This is all correct.

Likes Charge2
Yes! Thankyou everyone for the kind and helpful guidance. :-)

FAQ: Evaluating the Work Integral Between Two Points

1. What is the purpose of evaluating the work integral between two points?

The purpose of evaluating the work integral between two points is to calculate the amount of work (measured in joules) done by a force on an object as it moves from one point to another. This is useful in understanding the amount of energy transferred during a physical process.

2. How is the work integral between two points calculated?

The work integral between two points is calculated by taking the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector between the two points. This can be represented mathematically as W = ∫F⋅dx, where W is the work, F is the force, and dx is the infinitesimal displacement vector.

3. What is the significance of a positive or negative work integral between two points?

A positive work integral indicates that the force and displacement vectors are in the same direction, meaning that work is being done on the object. A negative work integral indicates that the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, meaning that work is being done by the object on its surroundings. This can also indicate a transfer of energy from the object to its surroundings.

4. How does the work integral between two points relate to the total work done?

The work integral between two points is a way to break down the total work done into smaller segments, making it easier to calculate. The total work done can be found by summing up all the individual work integrals between different points along the path of the object.

5. Can the work integral between two points be negative?

Yes, the work integral between two points can be negative if the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions. This indicates that work is being done by the object on its surroundings, resulting in a transfer of energy from the object to its surroundings.