Evaluation of an experiment: PET scans of a small source along the x-axis

Lambda96
Homework Statement
Evaluation of an experiment
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I did a PET scan and positioned a sample almost in the center of a moving carriage, taking measurements along the x-axis and measuring the counts. Each measurement took 60 seconds, and I took a total of 27 measurements. Here are my results

Tabelle.png

As the display was in mm, I always assumed an error of 1 mm. For the error calculation of the counts, I used Poisson, i.e. ##\Delta count= \sqrt{n}## and for the errors of the counts per seconds I calculated as follows: ##\Delta## counts per second = ##\frac{\Delta count}{t}##

Now I have to do the following

Plot the position of the trolley (error discussion!) against the measured coincidence count rate graphically (with x-y errors). Fit the peak with a Gaussian curve (with x-y errors) and determine the FWHM. How does this result serve as an error for further measurements?

For the plots I used Origin and for the plot of the counts per second plus the error in x and y I had no problem and got the following:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-24 um 20.25.41.png

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I did the plot regarding the peak with the Gauss curve correctly and that I calculated the FWHM correctly, for FWHM I have used the formula ##FWHM=2 \sqrt{2 \ln{2}} \sigma##, where ##\sigma=1.4215## which means that ##FWHM=3.35##. But how do I calculate the error of the FWHM?

Here is the plot

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-24 um 20.34.50.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me begin by saying that I believe this experiment was meant to determine a point response function and thus the spatial resolution of your scanner assuming you used a point source. It would also seem that there were a substantial number of accidental counts meaning that the distribution was not a pure Gaussian but a Gaussian sitting on a background of some sort. I think the FWHM is significantly correlated with the accidental count background. I would try to estimate the form of the background and include it in the fit at least to see its effect on the value of σ. If you used a nonlinear fitting routine it should estimate the uncertainty in σ of the Gaussian from which you can determine the FWHM uncertainly.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21, Lambda96 and berkeman
Thank you very much for your help 👍

How exactly can I estimate the background with the help of the measured data?

My approach is to start with the simplest functional form that makes sense Usually a straight line. bg = ax +b and see if that gives a reasonable χ2. If the χ2 is still unreasonable add a cx2 term and repeat. Don't try to overfit it. Backgrounds usually are structureless, with no peaks or fissures that might have too much effect unless you have a valid reason to use a more complex form. You can look at residuals to see where your model is failing. It might provide some guidance as to what to use.