Evaluation of definite Integral

In summary, the integral $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\cos 2x }{2 \cos^2 x}}dx$ can be solved by using the formula $\tan^{-1}(x)+\cot^{-1}(x) = \frac{\pi}{2}$ and the substitution $\tan x = t$. By using integration by parts and simplifying the resulting expression, the integral simplifies to $\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+t^2}\,dt$, which is equal to $\zeta(2)/4$.
juantheron
$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\cos 2x }{2 \cos^2 x}}dx$$\bf{My\; Try::}$ Let $\displaystyle I = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\cos 2x }{2\cos^2 x}}dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\pi}{2}-\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\cot^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\cos 2x}{2\cos^2 x}}dx$Using The formula $\displaystyle \tan^{-1}(x)+\cot^{-1}(x) = \frac{\pi}{2}\Rightarrow \tan^{-1}(x) = \frac{\pi}{2}-\cot^{-1}(x).$Now Let $\displaystyle J = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\cot^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\cos 2x}{2\cos^2 x}}dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\cot^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2 x-\sin^2 x}{2\cos^2 x}}dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\cot^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\tan^2 x}{2}}dx$Now How can i solve after thatThanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did anyone solve this?

I found the same problem on stackexchange and it has been unanswered from four days.

Wolfram Alpha gives 0.411234 which is quite close to $\zeta(2)/4$. I hope somebody can confirm this by using a better software.

Looking at the answer, I feel it requires the use of series expansion. $\arctan(x)$ has got a nice series expansion but I am not sure if that would help. I attempted it the following way:
$$I=\int_0^{\pi/4} \arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{\cos (2x)}{1+\cos(2x)}}\right)\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\pi/2} \arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{\cos (x)}{1+\cos(x)}}\right)\,dx$$
$$\Rightarrow I=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\pi/2} \arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{\sin (x)}{1+\sin(x)}}\right)\,dx=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^{\pi} \arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{\sin (x)}{1+\sin(x)}}\right)\,dx$$
But I don't see a way to proceed after this.

I am curious to see a solution to this problem.

@jacks: From where did you get this problem?

Try the following substitution

tan substitution

Then use integration by parts to kill the inverse tangent.

jacks said:
To pranav I have seen somewhere in another forum.

Here is a solution given by sos440.

? ? ?? ? ?? :: ? ?? 37 - Coxeter's Integrals (1)

Thanks jacks! Sos solution is great! :)

Oh and the answer is $\zeta(2)/4$ as I said before. :p

FAQ: Evaluation of definite Integral

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area between a curve and the x-axis within a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫, and it has a lower and upper limit that defines the interval of integration.

How is a definite integral evaluated?

A definite integral is evaluated by first finding the indefinite integral, also known as the antiderivative, of the function being integrated. Then, the upper limit is substituted into the antiderivative and subtracted from the lower limit. The result is the value of the definite integral.

What is the significance of a definite integral?

A definite integral has several applications, such as calculating areas, volumes, and averages. It is also used in physics and engineering to determine quantities related to motion, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the limitations of evaluating a definite integral?

Evaluating a definite integral can be challenging for complex functions or functions with no known antiderivative. In these cases, numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, can be used to approximate the value of the integral.

How is the area under a curve related to a definite integral?

The area under a curve is equal to the value of the definite integral of that curve. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and is a fundamental concept in calculus and mathematics.