Evalute surface area of top hemisphere

In summary, the author attempted to solve a problem involving integration against a specific region, but appears to have done it incorrectly.
DryRun
Gold Member
Evaluate surface area of top hemisphere

Homework Statement
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120106/jrHc5122.jpg

The attempt at a solution

This problem is new to me, in the sense that the integration is to be done against S, which is the same region S, over which the limits are defined. Usually, the region and the d.w.r.to is different. For example, it is typical to use D as the underset and then dA instead of dS. dA is to find the area, but i would assume that dS means the same?

The projection is done on the xy-plane so z = g(x,y) is the equation of the surface.
So, making z the subject of formula:
[tex]z=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}[/tex]
[tex]f_x=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{-x}{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}}[/tex]
[tex]f_y=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{-y}{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}}[/tex]

[tex]SA=\underset{S}{{\iint}} \sqrt{1+(f_x)^2+(f_y)^2}\: dA[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{1+(f_x)^2+(f_y)^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}}[/tex]

The boundaries for circular region S:
For x fixed, y varies from y=0 to [itex]y=√(1−x^2)[/itex]
x varies from x=0 to x=1

Since it's a circular region, i should convert to polar coordinates for easier integration:

For θ fixed, r varies from 0 to 1.
θ varies from 0 to 2∏

The integrand is converted to polar coordinates form:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-r^2}}[/tex]

[tex]Surface\; area\;of\;S=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-r^2}}\,.rdrd\theta[/tex]

For some reason, my final integral above is wrong, as I'm supposed to get this instead:
[tex]Surface\; area=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^1 r^2\,.rdrd\theta[/tex]

I just followed the standard procedure for finding the surface area, but there is the integrand from the original equation itself that i have not included in that integral, [itex](x^2+y^2)z[/itex] and i have no idea how.

I'm going to try and convert it to polar coordinates as well:
[itex](x^2+y^2)z=r^2\sqrt{1-r^2}[/itex]

By instinct, I'm just going to multiply this converted integrand with the other integrand, which gives me [itex]r^2[/itex] and this gives me the correct answer! Was that a fluke or did i follow the right steps?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you need to calculate the surface integral of f(x,y,z)=(x2+y2)z on the top semisphere instead of the surface area of the semisphere. Am I right?

ehild

Hi ehild!

I have revised my calculations in the first post.

Last edited:
sharks said:
Hi ehild!

I have revised my calculations in the first post.

It is correct now.

ehild

Related to Evalute surface area of top hemisphere

1. How do you calculate the surface area of the top hemisphere?

To calculate the surface area of the top hemisphere, you can use the formula A = 2πr², where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the hemisphere.

2. Is the formula for calculating surface area of a top hemisphere different from that of a full sphere?

Yes, the formula for calculating the surface area of a full sphere is A = 4πr², while the formula for the top hemisphere is only half of that, A = 2πr². This is because the top hemisphere is only half of a sphere.

3. What unit should the radius be in when using the formula for surface area of the top hemisphere?

The radius should be in the same unit as the surface area. For example, if the surface area is measured in square meters, then the radius should be in meters as well.

4. Can the surface area of the top hemisphere be used to calculate the volume of a hemisphere?

No, the surface area and volume of a hemisphere are different measurements and cannot be directly calculated from each other. The formula for calculating the volume of a hemisphere is V = (2/3)πr³.

5. How is the surface area of a top hemisphere used in real-world applications?

The surface area of a top hemisphere is often used in engineering and construction, such as calculating the surface area of domes or spherical roofs. It is also used in physics and math, particularly in calculating the surface area of solid objects.

Back