Every field contains a copy of Z_p

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: Yeah, I was just thinking about it and realized that. Thanks for the help!In summary, every field contains a 'copy' of Z_p, where p is the characteristic of the field. The characteristic of a field refers to the number of times you need to add the multiplicative identity to itself to get the additive identity, zero. However, this does not hold for general Z_n. Fields with finite characteristic can have an infinite number of elements and cannot be ordered. The Z_n subfield of a field F would contain the elements {0, 1, 1+1} where n is either prime or zero, with the exception of Z_0, which is isomorphic to Z.
PsychonautQQ
So, every field contains a 'copy' of Z_p. I'm a bit confused by this.
F is a field so it has characteristic p, and therefore contains a copy of the field Z_p.

Here are some of my thoughts, are they correct? Do you have anything to add? (I'm trying to see a bigger picture here!):
-The character of Z_p refers to the amount of times you need to add the multiplicative identity to itself to get to the additive identity, zero.
-If |F| = p^n, then F* is a group with p^n - 1 elements. Is |Z_p| = p, and is Z_p* a group with p-1 elements? The * means we are taking all non-units, so in this case the only thing we are taking out is the zero.

Ah so I had a slight tangent there, back to the main point (sorry this post isn't extremely coherent but any reply to any part of the post is very appreciated and useful to me).

Let's say F is a field with character 3 and 3^3 elements. Character 3 means any element multiplied by 3 will return zero.
Let's list the elements of F in order of smallest to largest: {0 1 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y}.(Can we even order the elements some smallest to largest in this case? I think so...)

Now, I'm trying to figure out what elements the Z_3 sub field of F would contain. would it be {g p y} because those are the 9th, 18th and 27th elements? Well that can't be, it's a subfield so we need to include the same multiplicative and additive identities as the original field, right? So would the elements of Z_3 be {0, 1, and some other thing}?

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on my incoherent rambling that'd be appreciated. Thank you all for the great help you've been.

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
So, every field contains a 'copy' of Z_p.

False. Look at the field ##\mathbb{Q}##.

-The character of Z_p refers to the amount of times you need to add the multiplicative identity to itself to get to the additive identity, zero.

Correct.

-If |F| = p^n, then F* is a group with p^n - 1 elements. Is |Z_p| = p, and is Z_p* a group with p-1 elements? The * means we are taking all non-units, so in this case the only thing we are taking out is the zero.

If ##p## is a prime (like you intended), then yes. But don't make the mistake that this holds for general ##\mathbb{Z}_n##.

Let's say F is a field with character 3 and 3^3 elements. Character 3 means any element multiplied by 3 will return zero.
Let's list the elements of F in order of smallest to largest: {0 1 a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y}.(Can we even order the elements some smallest to largest in this case? I think so...)

No, we can't order elements in such a field. We can only order elements in ordered fields which can be proven to have characteristic 0.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what elements the Z_3 sub field of F would contain. would it be {g p y} because those are the 9th, 18th and 27th elements? Well that can't be, it's a subfield so we need to include the same multiplicative and additive identities as the original field, right? So would the elements of Z_3 be {0, 1, and some other thing}?

It would be {0, 1, 1+1}

Likes PsychonautQQ
you're awesome

That said, if we define ##\mathbb{Z}_n = \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}##, then we would actually have that ##\mathbb{Z}_0 = \mathbb{Z}##. And in that case, every field does contain a copy of ##\mathbb{Z}_n## where ##n## is either prime or zero. Somehow, this does not seem like a popular convention, but I think it is nice.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Z_0 = Z? I understand this in regards to the character of Z_0 is 0 and so 1+1+1+... will never equal zero, so it will be an infinite series and be equal to the integers. However, in terms of notation Z_n = Z/nZ, how do we make sense of this when n = 0? Z_0 = Z / (0*Z)? Wouldn't that break a the universe and send us all into the endless void or something?

Well, ##0\mathbb{Z}## is just the zero ideal. So ##0\mathbb{Z} = \{0\}##. And thus we have ##\mathbb{Z}_0 = \mathbb{Z}/\{0\}## which is (by definition of the quotient space) isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}##.

Likes PsychonautQQ

FAQ: Every field contains a copy of Z_p

1. What is Z_p?

Z_p refers to the field of integers modulo p, where p is a prime number. This field contains all the numbers from 0 to p-1 and follows specific mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How does Z_p relate to other fields?

Z_p is a prime field, meaning it is the smallest field that contains p elements. It is a fundamental concept in algebraic number theory and is used in various branches of mathematics, including cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.

3. Why is it important that every field contains a copy of Z_p?

This is because Z_p is the most basic and essential field, and other fields can be constructed by extending or embedding Z_p. It serves as a building block for more complex fields and is used to prove many important theorems in mathematics.

4. Can you give an example of how Z_p is used in real-life applications?

Z_p has numerous applications in cryptography, where it is used to generate secure encryption keys and algorithms. It is also used in coding theory to construct error-correcting codes and in computer science to analyze algorithms and data structures.

5. How does Z_p help us understand the properties of other fields?

Z_p is a finite field, meaning it has a finite number of elements. By studying the properties of Z_p, we can gain insights into the properties of other finite fields and understand the limitations and possibilities of working with finite fields in mathematical applications.