Every nonzero vector space can be viewed as a sapce of functions.

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that Ψ is an isomorphism. The speaker has already proven that Ψ is linear and one-to-one, but is struggling to prove that it is onto. They decide to show that for any vector v in V, there exists a function f in Ω(S,F) such that Ψ(f) = v. After considering the definition of maximal linearly independent sets, the speaker is able to define f(si) = ai and show that Ψ(f) is onto, thus proving that Ψ is an isomorphism.
Buri
Homework Statement

Let V be a nonzero vector space over a field F, and suppose that S is a bases for V. Let C(S,F) denote the vector space of all functions f ∈ Ω(S,F) (i.e. the set of functions from S to a field F) such that f(s) = 0 for all but a finite number of vectors in S. Let Ψ: C(S,F) → V be defined by Ψ(f) = 0 if f is the zero function, and Ψ(f) = Σ {s ∈ S, f(s) ≠ 0} f(s)s, otherwise. Prove that Ψ is an isomorphism.

The attempt at a solution

Okay, I've already proved that Ψ is linear, that it is 1-1, but I'm having troubles proving that it is onto. Here's what I've done:

I'd like to be able to show that for any v ∈ V there is a f ∈ Ω(S,F) such that Ψ(f) = v. So v = (a1)s1 + (a2)s2 + ... where S = {s1, s2, ...} is a basis for V (I haven't been told whether V is finite or infinite dimensional). However Ψ(f), when f is nonzero, is a linear combination of FINITE number of elements of the basis. I do realize we could write Ψ(f) = f(s1)s1 + f(s2)s2 + ... where some of these will be zero as f is only nonzero at a finite number of them. See if v = (a1)s1 + a2(s2) + ... + (an)sn then I could define f to be f(si) = ai and I would be done. But the problem is that I can't see and can't show that Ψ(f) could ever equal a vector in v which is a linear combination of an infinite number of elements of the basis.

Any help? This isn't homework, I'm taking a look at linear algebra on my own this summer. Thanks a lot!EDIT: I've figured it out! :)

The vectors in V will be written as a linear combination of FINITE number of vectors of S - this is by definition! I hadn't read a section on Maximal linearly independent sets (the course I'll be taking in the fall skips it) so I hadn't seen this result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, if v = (a1)s1 + (a2)s2 + ... + (an)sn is an element of V, then we can define f(si) = ai and Ψ(f) = f(s1)s1 + f(s2)s2 + ... + f(sn)sn = (a1)s1 + (a2)s2 + ... + (an)sn = v. Thus Ψ(f) is onto and Ψ is an isomorphism.

Related to Every nonzero vector space can be viewed as a sapce of functions.

1. What is a nonzero vector space?

A nonzero vector space is a set of elements (or vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by scalars to create new elements within the set. The vectors in a nonzero vector space must also satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication, to form a valid vector space.

2. How can a nonzero vector space be viewed as a space of functions?

In mathematics, a function is a relationship between a set of input values (domain) and a set of output values (range). By defining a nonzero vector space as a set of elements that can be added and multiplied, we can view each element in the space as a function that maps from the domain to the range.

3. What advantages does viewing a nonzero vector space as a space of functions offer?

Viewing a nonzero vector space as a space of functions provides a more intuitive understanding of the space and its properties. It also allows for the use of tools and techniques from the field of functional analysis, which can aid in studying and solving problems related to the vector space.

4. Can every nonzero vector space be viewed as a space of functions?

Yes, every nonzero vector space can be viewed as a space of functions. This is because the definition of a nonzero vector space inherently includes the idea of addition and multiplication, which are fundamental operations in the field of functions.

5. Are there any limitations to viewing a nonzero vector space as a space of functions?

While viewing a nonzero vector space as a space of functions can provide valuable insights and tools for understanding the space, it may not always be the most appropriate or practical approach. In certain cases, other representations or interpretations of the vector space may be more useful or necessary.