Everyday Life in SF: Exploring Realistic Possibilities

In summary, many SF books and films focus on big battles, or a great discovery, but care less about, how everyday life could change.
mfb said:
Everything that shields against cosmic rays will easily shield everything that comes from the Sun. Just don't go out when a solar storm is approaching.By moving the whole cable? That is impractical and wouldn't work with current materials. Make them go up/down with electric motors.
The main cable is ultra-strong. The elevator cables ride that cable. One cable, each end attached to an elevator. The weight of cars cancel out.

And I'm very sure we're not working with "current materials" on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the point in a "main cable" if the elevator cable holds the payload?
Noisy Rhysling said:
And I'm very sure we're not working with "current materials" on this.
But we could build this with current materials. Just not with the setup you imagine, which doesn't help and makes everything way more difficult.

If you say so.

Noisy Rhysling said:
If you say so.

I also think, it is easier if only the elevator cabins moving, not the whole thousands kms cables.

In that system power is needed to move the cabins and their contents. In a counterweight system you just need to move the weight of the contents.

Noisy Rhysling said:
In that system power is needed to move the cabins and their contents. In a counterweight system you just need to move the weight of the contents.
And the thousand km cable between the two.

GTOM said:
And the thousand km cable between the two.
Pity the engineers didn't figure that in.

You have to move the whole mass of the cable, exceeding the mass of the payload by a factor of10 to 1000, depending on the implementation. Even worse, tapering gets much more complicated if you want to move cables and you need hours to start and stop the system without undue stress in the cable.

This is not your typical building elevator where the cables are just a convenient tool to hold the cabin. The cables are thousands of kilometers long and have much more mass than the cabin itself. Moving the cables around is extremely impractical.

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-lava-tubes-hidden-sites-future.html

Found that one. Although it looks like, it isn't absolutely sure, that such large caves exists, just assumed.

Based on the article, it looks like a martian cavern wouldn't be enough for capital (that would be a domed city at equator, i think a MW laser enough for anti meteor protection), but it would be good for a mining town.