Exact differential and work done

In summary: Essentially, it means that the work done by the force is path-independent (as shown in the example with gravity). This is a property of conservative forces, so if the work is an exact differential, the force is conservative.
putongren
TL;DR Summary
The work done is independent of path if the infinitesimal work 𝐹⃗ ⋅𝑑𝑟⃗
is an exact differential.
I was researching about conservative and non-conservative forces, and there is some information in a website that sates that the work done is independent of path if the infinitesimal work 𝐹⃗ ⋅𝑑𝑟⃗ is an exact differential. It further states that in 2 dimensions the condition for 𝐹⃗ ⋅𝑑𝑟⃗ = Fxdx + Fydy to be an exact differential is:

𝑑𝐹𝑥/𝑑𝑦=𝑑𝐹𝑦/𝑑𝑥.

My question is this: why is a force conservative if the work is an exact differential? How can we deduce from the definition of a conservative force that this force is conservative if the work done to it is an exact differential?

Physics news on Phys.org
putongren said:
My question is this: why is a force conservative if the work is an exact differential?
Because if you integrate an exact differential, the result is the difference of some function evaluated at the two limits. This is what "work is independent of the path" means.

Here is an example. Suppose you use an eraser to erase a chalkboard. To do that you push the eraser against the board and, starting at the bottom B, you go to the middle M, then to the top T and then back to M. Let ##h=~##the height of the board.

The work done by the force of gravity ##mg## is
From B to M: ##~W_{BM}=-mg*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From M to T: ##~W_{MT}=-mg*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From T to back to M: ##~W_{TM}=+mg*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
Note that ##W_{BM}+W_{MT}+W_{TM}=W_{BM}.## This says that the total work is independent of the path because it is the same when one stops at M or goes past M to T and then back to M. We conclude that the force of gravity is conservative.

The work done by the force of friction ##f## is
From B to M: ##~W_{BM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From M to T: ##~W_{MT}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From T to back to M: ##~W_{TM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
Note that ##W_{BM}+W_{MT}+W_{TM}=3W_{BM}.## This says that the total work is not independent of the path because it is not the same when one stops at M or goes past M to T and then back to M. We conclude that the force of gravity friction is not conservative.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The work done by the force of friction ##f## is
From B to M: ##~W_{BM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From M to T: ##~W_{MT}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From T to back to M: ##~W_{TM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
Note that ##W_{BM}+W_{MT}+W_{TM}=3W_{BM}.## This says that the total work is not independent of the path because it is not the same when one stops at M or goes past M to T and then back to M. We conclude that the force of *gravity* is not conservative.

I believe you meant friction. Besides that, great explanation.

Likes berkeman and kuruman
Juanda said:
I believe you meant friction. Besides that, great explanation.
Good catch, thanks. I cut and pasted from above without changing the force. I edited to fix the typo.

Likes berkeman and Juanda
Sorry, I assumed you already knew what an exact differential is.

Related to Exact differential and work done

What is an exact differential?

An exact differential is a differential form that is the gradient of a scalar function. In mathematical terms, a differential form \( dQ \) is exact if there exists a function \( Q \) such that \( dQ = \nabla Q \cdot d\mathbf{r} \). This implies that the integral of \( dQ \) between two points is path-independent and depends only on the values of \( Q \) at those points.

How can you determine if a differential form is exact?

To determine if a differential form \( dQ = M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy \) is exact, you can use the condition that the mixed partial derivatives must be equal: \( \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial N}{\partial x} \). If this condition is satisfied, then \( dQ \) is an exact differential.

What is the significance of exact differentials in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, exact differentials are important because they represent state functions, such as internal energy, enthalpy, and entropy. These state functions depend only on the current state of the system, not on the path taken to reach that state. This makes calculations involving energy changes more straightforward and reliable.

How is work done related to exact differentials?

Work done is typically represented by the differential form \( dW = F \cdot d\mathbf{r} \), which is not generally an exact differential because work depends on the path taken. However, in specific cases where the force field is conservative (i.e., it can be derived from a potential function), the work done can be expressed as an exact differential of that potential function.

Can you give an example of a physical situation involving an exact differential?

A classic example involving an exact differential is the gravitational potential energy in a conservative gravitational field. The differential form \( dU = -mgdz \) is exact because it can be derived from the potential function \( U = mgh \). The change in potential energy \( \Delta U \) between two heights depends only on the difference in height, not on the path taken.