Exact Differential Equations: Solving for f(x,y)

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving taking the derivative of e^xy2 with respect to y, and the solution involved multiplying by 2xy instead of just x and including the integration constant in the final function. The problem was confirmed to be exact, and the final function was determined to be f(x,y) = e^(xy2) + x4 + y3 + C.
checkmatechamp
I thought I got this problem wrong, but I think I have it right now. It turned out that when I was taking the derivative of e^xy2with respect to y, I forgot that you're supposed to multiply by 2xy (the derivative of xy2), not just x.

Homework Statement

(y2* e^xy2 + 4x3 dx + (2xy * e^xy2 - 3y2 dy = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I test to make sure it's exact. When I differentiate the first with respect to y, and the second with respect to x, I get 2xy3 * e^xy2 + 2y*e^xy2 for both, so it is indeed exact.

When I integrate (y2* e^xy2 + 4x3 dx, I get e^xy2 + x^4 + f(y)

The derivative of e^xy2 + x^4 + f(y) with respect to y is 2xy*e^xy2 + f'(y), and f'(y) is (2xy * e^xy2 - 3y2 dy), so I integrate 3y2 with respect to y, and get y3

So my final function is f(x,y) = e^xy2 + x4 + y3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
checkmatechamp said:
I thought I got this problem wrong, but I think I have it right now. It turned out that when I was taking the derivative of e^xy2with respect to y, I forgot that you're supposed to multiply by 2xy (the derivative of xy2), not just x.

Homework Statement

(y2* e^xy2 + 4x3 dx + (2xy * e^xy2 - 3y2 dy = 0

I think you meant the equation (y2* e^(xy2) + 4x3)dx + (2xy * e^(xy2) - 3y2 )dy = 0. Do not forget parentheses!

checkmatechamp said:
First, I test to make sure it's exact. When I differentiate the first with respect to y, and the second with respect to x, I get 2xy3 * e^xy2 + 2y*e^xy2 for both, so it is indeed exact.

When I integrate (y2* e^xy2 + 4x3 dx, I get e^xy2 + x^4 + f(y)

The derivative of e^xy2 + x^4 + f(y) with respect to y is 2xy*e^xy2 + f'(y), and f'(y) is (2xy * e^xy2 - 3y2 dy), so I integrate 3y2 with respect to y, and get y3

So my final function is f(x,y) = e^xy2 + x4 + y3

Excellent! But you need to include the integration constant, so f(x,y) = e^(xy2) + x4 + y3 + C

ehild

FAQ: Exact Differential Equations: Solving for f(x,y)

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation in which the total derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable can be expressed as a linear combination of the partial derivatives of the independent variables.

2. How do you solve an exact differential equation?

To solve an exact differential equation, you must first check if it is exact by calculating the partial derivatives and checking if they are equal. If it is exact, you can then use the method of integrating factors or the method of separation of variables to find the solution.

3. What is the significance of an integrating factor in exact differential equations?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to transform a non-exact differential equation into an exact one. This allows for easier solving of the equation and also helps to reveal hidden symmetries and relationships within the equation.

4. Are there any real-world applications of exact differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of exact differential equations in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the growth of populations, the flow of fluids, and the change in temperature over time.

5. What are the limitations of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations can only be used to model systems that are continuous and have a finite number of variables. They also rely on the assumption that the system being modeled is deterministic and does not have any random or chaotic elements.