Exact Sequences - functions on longright arrows

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of function symbols in exact sequences and the request for help with notation in Latex. An example and attachment are provided for clarification, as well as a reference to further examples of the terminology being used. Various commands, such as \stackrel and \overset, are suggested as potential solutions.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In exact sequences, a convenient notation is to have a function symbol like
png.latex
on a longrightarrow.

I have given an example of this in the attachment so it is clear what notation I am requesting help with - see attachment "Exact Sequences - Latex Question"

I have also provided an attachment showing the start of Section 10.5 (Exact Sequences) of Dummit and Foote where there are a number of examples of the terminology I am hoping to use in Latex encoded postings.

If someone can help me with this problem I would be most grateful

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org
\stackrel{\psi}{\longrightarrow}: $\stackrel{\psi}{\longrightarrow}$

Thanks Opalg, most helpful

Opalg said:
\stackrel{\psi}{\longrightarrow}: $\stackrel{\psi}{\longrightarrow}$

Also, \xrightarrow[\text{below arrow}]{\text{above arrow}} gives $\xrightarrow[\text{below arrow}]{\text{above arrow}}$, and \overset{\psi}{\longrightarrow} gives $\overset{\psi}{\longrightarrow}$. The latter command is provided by the amsmath package, and, unlike \stackrel, can be used on ordinary symbols and binary operators and not only relations. See also https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/433/.

I fully understand the importance of clear and concise notation in mathematical discussions, especially when dealing with complex concepts such as exact sequences. In the attachment provided, the function symbol on a longrightarrow is a convenient and commonly used notation in exact sequences. This notation allows for a more compact and organized representation of the functions involved in the sequence.

I have taken a look at the examples in Section 10.5 of Dummit and Foote's textbook and I agree that this notation would be useful in discussions of exact sequences. It is important to use consistent and standard notation in mathematical discussions, and I believe that using the function symbol on a longrightarrow would be a valuable addition to this particular topic.

I hope someone can assist with this problem and provide a solution in Latex format. This would greatly aid in the clarity and understanding of discussions surrounding exact sequences. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, and I look forward to seeing the implementation of this notation in future discussions.

FAQ: Exact Sequences - functions on longright arrows

What is an exact sequence in mathematics?

An exact sequence in mathematics is a sequence of objects and morphisms between them that captures the exact relationships between the objects. It is often used in algebraic and homological constructions to study the properties and structure of mathematical objects.

What is the role of functions in exact sequences?

Functions play a crucial role in exact sequences as they describe the relationships between the objects in the sequence. They map one object to another in a precise and defined way, preserving the structure and properties of the objects.

What are long right arrows in exact sequences?

Long right arrows, also known as long exact sequences, are a type of exact sequence where the objects and morphisms are arranged in a line with arrows pointing to the right. They are commonly used in algebraic constructions to represent the exact relationships between objects in a particular context.

What are some examples of exact sequences in mathematics?

There are many examples of exact sequences in mathematics, including the short exact sequence in algebra, the long exact sequence in homology, and the spectral sequence in topology. These are just a few examples, and there are many more in various branches of mathematics.

How are exact sequences used in scientific research?

Exact sequences are used in scientific research to study the structure and properties of mathematical objects, such as groups, rings, and vector spaces. They provide a powerful tool for understanding the relationships between different objects and can be applied in various fields of research, including physics, chemistry, and biology.