Exam asks me for a case where ▲x > dx?

luke00628063
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
I'm studying for an exam and I was checking old exams so I could practice, and I found this question that make me feel like I don't know anything:
"Explain in which cases ▲x > dx and give a graphical example."
I have always been taught derivatives with the typical graph with the tangent and the secant lines where the difference between ▲y and dy is obvious and delta x and dx are equals but never one example where ▲x != dx or in this case, ▲x > dx. Am I missing something? Just in case, I'm in the first year of system engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my sense, ##\triangle x \rightarrow dx## in introducing integral or derivative. I feel some background information is missing in your question.

Likes PeroK, phinds and berkeman
##\Delta y:= y(x+h)-y(x)##, while ##dy## is the change along the linear approximation by a hyperplane ; a ( tangent) line when you use a single variable. The linear approximation is given by ##f'(x)dx##. Try finding an example.

Likes PhDeezNutz
luke00628063 said:
I'm studying for an exam and I was checking old exams so I could practice, and I found this question that make me feel like I don't know anything:
I have always been taught derivatives with the typical graph with the tangent and the secant lines where the difference between ▲y and dy is obvious and delta x and dx are equals but never one example where ▲x != dx or in this case, ▲x > dx. Am I missing something? Just in case, I'm in the first year of system engineering.
##dx## is not a number, so I would say the question makes no sense.

Likes mathwonk and docnet
##dx## in here takes the value ##h##, as in ##lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{(x+h)-x}##, so it is a variable, but takes numerical values.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
luke00628063 said:

Are you sure [itex]x[/itex] is the independent variable here? Perhaps [itex]x[/itex] is a function of time, making it like [itex]y[/itex] in your example.