Examining the Use of Capital Punishment in Iran: A Critical Analysis

• News
  • Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
In summary, Iran has executed 29 convicts, most of whom were found guilty of terrorism. This has been seen as a deterrent to other would-be terrorists, and it is hoped that the message will be successfully sent.
humanino
Iran has executed 29 convicts

I find it interesting that in some countries, death penalty is consistently broadcasted in a large media coverage, and not done in secret without anybody hearing about it. Please understand that I am against capital punishment, but understand a democracy which uses it as an example, however can not understand an alleged democracy which does not use it as an example. Indeed, logically death penalty can not just be a protection for society, by removal of a dangerous individual. Life imprisonment does that just as well (it's more expansive, but supposedly more human).

Just a personal opinion on an evil country...

Physics news on Phys.org
humanino said:
Life imprisonment does that just as well (it's more expansive, but supposedly more human).
Last I checked, in the US, it is more expensive to give someone a death penalty than to give them life in prison. I doubt, however, that the same is true of Iran (since, in the US, most of the extra cost comes from the various stages of appeals).

Gokul43201 said:
Last I checked, in the US, it is more expensive to give someone a death penalty than to give them life in prison.
I've seen the same claim on wikipedia, but I don't understand it is possible.

Wikipedia refers to http://news.ufl.edu/1997/01/15/death1/
Radelet said the cost of executing a prisoner in Florida averages about $3.2 million, mostly in trial costs. Keeping that same person in prison for life costs only about $600,000, and the millions of dollars spent on executing prisoners could be put to much better use, he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
humanino said:
...but understand a democracy which uses it as an example, however can not understand an alleged democracy which does not use it as an example. Indeed, logically death penalty can not just be a protection for society, by removal of a dangerous individual...
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Sentences for criminals serve two primary purposes: One is the removal of the threat to society, but the other is simply punishment.

russ_watters said:
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Sentences for criminals serve two primary purposes: One is the removal of the threat to society, but the other is simply punishment.
Oh, my point was that I don't relate to those purposes. Being imprisoned for life is much worse in my understanding. I can only relate to the fact that death punishment is used as a mean to scare the population by taking an example. That's how it was done in France until the 1980's : on sunday morning with a crowd of people. It's a different culture I guess.

russ_watters said:

Deterrence?

WarPhalange said:
Deterrence?
Yes, that's the word I needed ! Thanks :smile:

Related to Examining the Use of Capital Punishment in Iran: A Critical Analysis

What is the reason behind Iran's frequent use of capital punishment?

The current penal code in Iran includes the death penalty as a punishment for a wide range of crimes, including murder, drug trafficking, and rape. Additionally, the government of Iran sees the death penalty as an effective way to deter crime and maintain law and order.

What types of crimes can result in a death sentence in Iran?

Under the Iranian penal code, crimes such as murder, drug trafficking, rape, and armed robbery can result in the death penalty. The death penalty can also be applied for other offenses, such as apostasy, adultery, and espionage.

How is the death penalty carried out in Iran?

In Iran, the most common method of execution is hanging. However, some offenses, such as drug trafficking, can also be punished by stoning or firing squad. The execution is usually carried out publicly, although family members of the convicted person can request a private execution.

What is the public opinion on capital punishment in Iran?

While some Iranians support the use of the death penalty as a means of maintaining law and order, others have expressed concerns about its frequent use and the lack of due process in many cases. In recent years, there has been a growing opposition to the death penalty in Iran, with calls for reform and more lenient punishments.

Are there any efforts to change the use of capital punishment in Iran?

In recent years, there have been some efforts to reform the Iranian penal code and reduce the use of the death penalty. In 2017, a new amendment was introduced that removed the death penalty for some drug offenses and allowed for the possibility of alternative punishments. However, the death penalty is still widely used in Iran, and further reforms are needed to address its frequent use.