Example about uhp iso to unit disc

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an example of an isomorphism between the upper half plane and the unit disc, where the function f maps points in the upper half plane to points in the unit disc and vice versa. The proof shows that f is bijective and preserves structure, making it a valid isomorphism. The explanation includes a step-by-step breakdown of the proof and clarifies any confusion.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to understand this example:
Let H be the upper half plane. The map
$$
f:z\mapsto\frac{z - i}{z + i}
$$
is an isomorphism of H with the unit disc.

proof:
Let $w=f(z)$ and $z=x+yi$. Then
$$
f(z) = \frac{x + (y-1)i}{x+(y+1)i}.
$$
Since $z\in H$, $y>0$, it follows that $(y-1)^2<(y+1)^2$ whence
$$
x^2+(y-1)^2=|z-i|^2<x^2+(y+1)^2=|z+i|^2
$$
and therefore
$$
|z-i|<|z+i|,
$$
(I understand the above)
so $f$ maps the upper half plane into the unit disc (I don't understand why we can make this statement now? How does the above allow for this?). Since
$$
w=\frac{z-i}{z+i},
$$
we can solve for z in terms of w, because $wz+wi = z-i$, so that
$$
z=-i\frac{w+1}{w-1}.
$$
Write $w=u+iv$. By computing directly the real part of $(w+1)/(w-1)$, and so the imaginary part of
$$
-i\frac{w+1}{w-1}
$$
you will find that this imaginary part is > 0 if $|w| < 1$ (why is this?).
So I computed the imaginary part and obtained
$$
-i\frac{(u+1)(u-1)+v^2}{(u-1)^2+v^2}
$$
Hence the map
$$
h:w\mapsto -i\frac{w+1}{w-1}
$$
sends the unit disc into the upper half plane. Since by construction $f$ and $h$ are inverse to each other, it follows that they are inverse isomorphisms of the upper half plane and the disc.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that this example may seem confusing, but let me try to explain it to you in more detail.

First, let's recall the definition of an isomorphism. An isomorphism is a bijective function that preserves structure. In this case, we are looking at an isomorphism between the upper half plane (H) and the unit disc. This means that the function f maps every point in H to a unique point in the unit disc, and vice versa, and it preserves the structure of the upper half plane and the unit disc.

Now, in order to show that f is an isomorphism, we need to show that it satisfies these two properties: bijectivity and structure preservation.

The first part of the proof shows that f is indeed bijective. This is done by showing that for any point z in the upper half plane, there is a unique point w=f(z) in the unit disc. This is done by solving for w in terms of z, as shown in the equation w=(z-i)/(z+i).

The second part of the proof shows that f preserves the structure of the upper half plane and the unit disc. This is done by showing that the map f sends the upper half plane into the unit disc, and the map h sends the unit disc into the upper half plane. This is shown by computing the imaginary part of the function h and showing that it is always positive for points inside the unit disc.

Therefore, we can conclude that f is an isomorphism between the upper half plane and the unit disc, as it is both bijective and preserves structure. I hope this helps clarify the proof for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Example about uhp iso to unit disc

1. What is UHP ISO?

UHP ISO stands for ultra high pressure isothermal. It is a technique used in scientific experiments to create high pressure conditions while maintaining a constant temperature.

2. What is a unit disc in terms of UHP ISO?

A unit disc in UHP ISO refers to the area or volume within the experimental setup where the ultra high pressure conditions are created. This can vary in size and shape depending on the specific experiment being conducted.

3. How does UHP ISO affect the properties of materials?

UHP ISO can significantly alter the physical and chemical properties of materials, such as their density, melting point, and reactivity. This is due to the extreme pressure and temperature conditions that are created within the unit disc.

4. What are the applications of UHP ISO in scientific research?

UHP ISO is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including material science, geology, chemistry, and physics. It allows scientists to study the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, which can provide insights into their properties and potential uses.

5. What safety precautions are necessary when working with UHP ISO?

Due to the high pressure and potential hazards involved, working with UHP ISO requires strict safety protocols. This may include wearing protective gear, following specific procedures for handling materials, and regularly inspecting equipment for any potential failures.