Example on Triangular Rings - Lam, Example 1.14

In summary, the table in Example 1.14 shows that isomorphs of primes in an algebraic entity called R, M, and S. It is convenient to identify them in this way, but it causes confusion because the word "identify" is used without explanation.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and am currently focussed on Section 1:Basic Terminology and Examples ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 1.14 ... ...

Example 1.14 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=0f58364433f8d45cf4a489c5179e1889.png

?temp_hash=0f58364433f8d45cf4a489c5179e1889.png

I cannot follow why the results in Table 1.16 follow ...

For example, according to Table 1.16 ...

##mr = 0## for all ##m \in M## and ##r \in R## ... but why?Similarly I don't follow the other entries in the Table ...

Can someone please help ...

help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Lam - 1 -  Example 1.14 - PART 1.png
    Lam - 1 - Example 1.14 - PART 1.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 653
  • Lam - 2 -  Example 1.14 - PART 2      .png
    Lam - 2 - Example 1.14 - PART 2 .png
    81.2 KB · Views: 573
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I cannot follow why the results in Table 1.16 follow ...

For example, according to Table 1.16 ...

##mr = 0## for all ##m \in M## and ##r \in R## ... but why?
The ##R,M,S## in that table refer not to the original algebraic entities with those names but to isomorphs of them in ##A##.

Let's put primes on the ones in the table to avoid confusion. Then :
$$R'\triangleq \left\{\begin{pmatrix}r&0\\0&0\end{pmatrix}\ :\ r\in R\right\}$$
$$M'\triangleq \left\{\begin{pmatrix}0&m\\0&0\end{pmatrix}\ :\ m\in M\right\}$$
$$S'\triangleq \left\{\begin{pmatrix}0&0\\0&s\end{pmatrix}\ :\ s\in S\right\}$$
If you replace the ##R,M,S## in the table and its column and row labels by their primed versions, and do the matrix multiplications, you will see that the table works.

The trick is the words 'it is convenient to identify'. I understand why authors do identification. It can save on notation. But for the confusion it causes, I really don't think it's worth it. Anyway, keep an eye out for that deadly word 'identify' and its derivatives. At least this author admitted that he did it. Sometimes they don't.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ... that certainly clarifies things a lot ...

I think you caution regarding "identification" is absolutely necessary ...

Will now continue to work on Lam's example ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Example on Triangular Rings - Lam, Example 1.14

What is the concept of triangular rings?

The concept of triangular rings is a mathematical concept that involves using triangular-shaped rings to model certain mathematical objects. These rings can be used to model various shapes and patterns, and are often used in geometry and topology.

How are triangular rings used in Example 1.14?

In Example 1.14, triangular rings are used to model a specific type of polygonal shape. The example shows how these rings can be used to construct a specific type of polygon and how they can be manipulated to create different shapes.

What is the significance of Example 1.14?

Example 1.14 is significant because it demonstrates how triangular rings can be used to model a specific type of polygonal shape. This example also highlights the versatility and usefulness of using these rings in mathematical contexts.

Are there any real-world applications of triangular rings?

Yes, triangular rings have various real-world applications, particularly in engineering and architecture. They can be used to design and construct various structures, such as bridges and buildings, and to create complex geometric patterns.

What are some other examples of triangular rings?

Some other examples of triangular rings include using them to model crystal structures, to create three-dimensional shapes, and to study the behavior of molecules in chemistry. They can also be used in computer graphics and animation to create 3D models of objects.