Example Proof using Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the format and transformation of complex numbers, specifically the use of Euler's formula and the imaginary part of a complex exponential. The conversation also touches on the simplification of series and the use of other simple complex number theory formulas. The confusion is resolved by understanding the meaning of the "mSYMBOL" format and the use of cosine in the transformation.
Chantry

Homework Statement

http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/JamesBinney/complex.pdf
Example 1.2 (Page 6)

Homework Equations

De Moivre's Theorem, Euler's Formula, and other simple complex number theory formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having troubles understanding the format, which makes me thing the author is assuming prior knowledge in another area of math.

What I don't understand is where he gets the mSYMBOL format from. I don't know what that symbol is, so I couldn't google it. I get all of the simplifying, except for when the conversion happens to and from the mSYMBOL. It looks like he's simply converting the sin(2n + 1) to the complex exponential function, but how can you do that without i?

I know sin(n) = 1/(2i) * (e^(in)-e^(-in)), but that's not even close to the result they got.

If that's the case, then my question is, how is this transformation happening?

Again, I understand the simplifying of the series, just not the transformation to and from the complex exponential.

Hopefully I explained that well enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That symbol just means the imaginary part.

For example for Euler's formula e=cosθ+ isinθ so that Imaginary part of e, written as Im(e) = sinθ.

So the imaginary part of ei(2n+1)θ, written as Im(ei(2n+1)θ)=sin(2n+1)θ

Thanks for the help :).

I now understand where they get the sin(x) + rsin(x) in the numerator, and where the 1 + r^2 comes from in the denominator. However, how do they get the 2rcos(2x) in the denominator?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.

I forgot about cos(x) = 1/2(e^ix + e^-ix).

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Related to Example Proof using Complex Numbers

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the square root of -1. Complex numbers are useful in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and geometry.

How are complex numbers used in proofs?

Complex numbers can be used in proofs to solve equations that involve both real and imaginary numbers. They can also be used to prove theorems and identities in various branches of mathematics, such as trigonometry and geometry. In addition, complex numbers can provide geometric interpretations and insights in proofs.

What is an example of a proof using complex numbers?

An example proof using complex numbers is the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex solutions. This proof involves using the properties of complex numbers and the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic to show that any polynomial equation can be factored into linear and quadratic terms, each of which has complex solutions.

What are the benefits of using complex numbers in proofs?

Using complex numbers in proofs can provide a more elegant and concise solution compared to using only real numbers. They can also offer alternative approaches to solving problems and can lead to new insights and discoveries in mathematics. Additionally, complex numbers have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields, making them a powerful tool for problem-solving and understanding the world around us.

Are there any limitations to using complex numbers in proofs?

While complex numbers have many benefits in proofs, they also have some limitations. One limitation is that they can be difficult to visualize and understand compared to real numbers. Another limitation is that not all problems can be solved using complex numbers, as some may require other mathematical tools or techniques. Lastly, using complex numbers in proofs may not always be the most efficient or practical approach, depending on the problem at hand.

Back