Example Required: Matrix Solution By Dividing into Quadrants

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the quadrant approach for solving larger matrices through matrix multiplication and Gauss Elimination. The method involves dividing the matrix into smaller submatrices and then merging the results to evaluate the entire matrix. However, it is noted that this approach may not work for Gauss Elimination as it requires certain matrices to be invertible, while matrix multiplication does not have this requirement.
zak100

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am looking for an example to solve a larger Matrix by dividing into Quadrant. Is it possible for Gauss Elimination or Matrix Multiplication.

Homework Equations

No equation possible

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking for a example

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can treat so called blocks the same way as single entries, except they do not commute. If ##A,B,C,D,A',B',C',D'## are square matrices, then
$$
\begin{bmatrix}A&B\\C&D\end{bmatrix}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}A'&B'\\C'&D'\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}AA'+BC'&AB'+BD'\\CA'+DC'&CB'+DD'\end{bmatrix}
$$
This is especially helpful if ##C=C'=0##.

Hi,
Thanks for your response. Suppose I have a 4* 4 matrix. I can form quadrants of 2* 2. Then how can i evaluate the matrix multiplication using these quadrants, and how to merge the results of these sub matrices to evaluate the computation of the entire 4*4 matrix.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your response. Suppose I have a 4* 4 matrix. I can form quadrants of 2* 2. Then how can i evaluate the matrix multiplication using these quadrants, and how to merge the results of these sub matrices to evaluate the computation of the entire 4*4 matrix.
@fresh_42 gave you the complete method. What is not clear to you?

Hi,
To some extent it is correct but not complete. Also fresh_42 started from a smaller thing. I thought he would start from a larger Matrix. This confused me. Any way thanks for you guys, good work.

1) If I have a 4 * 4 Matrix, I can create 4 matrices of 2 * 2. If I have a 5 * 5 matrices, can add zeros to compensate for the lost rows and columns.

2) I have a feeling that this method won't work for Guass Elimination. So is there any way to cut down the Matrix & to process the smaller matrices in parallel in case of Guass Elimination Method. Again suppose the 4 * 4 matrices which I said can have 4 submatrices of 2 * 2. So if I process these submatrices individually i.e apply the Guass Elimination method, will it work? If not how can i do it.

I want to cut down the matrix into smaller submatrices and then to process these submatrices in parallel to have a fast evaluation of Gauss Elimination method. Is there any way to speed up the Gauss Elimination method.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Also fresh_42 started from a smaller thing.
Not really: just take your ##4\times 4## matrix ##X## and write it ##X=\begin{bmatrix}A&B\\C&D\end{bmatrix}##.

Gauß elimination is to transform a matrix into ##SXS^{-1}##. With ##S=\begin{bmatrix}A'&B'\\C'&D'\end{bmatrix}## you have the desired formula. You can first deal with ##A##, then ##C\, , \,D\, , \,B##. It's done this way anyway, even on ##X##.

The main problem are the blocks on the opposite diagonal ##B\, , \,C## which prevent a blockwise procedure. So it's probably best to start with ##C## and eliminate it:

1. Find ##T## such that ##TXT^{-1}=T\begin{bmatrix}A&B\\C&D\end{bmatrix}T^{-1}=\begin{bmatrix}A'&B'\\0&D'\end{bmatrix}##
  2. Find ##S_1## such that ##S_1A'S_1^{-1} = A''##.
  3. Find ##S_2## such that ##S_2D'S_2^{-1} = D''##.
  4. ##\begin{bmatrix}A''&B''\\0&D''\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} S_1 & 0 \\ 0 & S_2 \end{bmatrix} T X T^{-1} \begin{bmatrix} S_1^{-1} & 0 \\ 0 & S_2^{-1} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} S_1A' S_1^{-1} & S_1B'S_2^{-1} \\ 0 & S_2D' S_2^{-1} \end{bmatrix}##

Keep in mind that the example @fresh_42 gave has matrices for A, B, C, and D. So it can be very large. Each matrix represents an entire quadrant that you first asked about.

FactChecker said:
Keep in mind that the example @fresh_42 gave has matrices for A, B, C, and D. So it can be very large. Each matrix represents an entire quadrant that you first asked about.
Hi,
Thanks. You are right. I can't understand message 2 earlier but while I wrote reply#5, I got some idea as I was able to read the term "square matrices". I would try even though my professor says that the quadrant approach would work for matrix multiplication but not for gauss Elimination.

Thanks for your replies.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
my professor says that the quadrant approach would work for matrix multiplication but not for gauss Elimination.
Mimicking the Gaussian elimination method would require that certain matrices be invertible. Matrix multiplication does not require that.

Related to Example Required: Matrix Solution By Dividing into Quadrants

What is a matrix solution?

A matrix solution is a method used in mathematics to solve a system of linear equations. It involves representing the equations in a matrix and using various operations such as row reduction and Gaussian elimination to find the solution.

How is a matrix divided into quadrants?

A matrix can be divided into quadrants by drawing a horizontal and vertical line through the center of the matrix. This creates four quadrants, with the upper left quadrant being referred to as quadrant I, the upper right quadrant as quadrant II, the lower left quadrant as quadrant III, and the lower right quadrant as quadrant IV.

Why is dividing a matrix into quadrants useful?

Dividing a matrix into quadrants can be useful in solving systems of linear equations because it allows for a more organized and systematic approach. By dividing the matrix into smaller parts, it becomes easier to see patterns and relationships between the variables, making it easier to find the solution.

What are the steps involved in solving a matrix solution by dividing into quadrants?

The steps involved in solving a matrix solution by dividing into quadrants include identifying the variables and equations, representing them in a matrix, dividing the matrix into quadrants, performing operations such as row reduction and Gaussian elimination on each quadrant, and finally finding the solution by back-substitution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the matrix solution method?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the matrix solution method include forgetting to divide the matrix into quadrants, making errors in the row reduction or Gaussian elimination process, and not double-checking the final solution. It is also important to ensure that the variables and equations are correctly represented in the matrix before beginning the solution process.