Examples for gravitational time dilation

In summary, gravitational time dilation is the phenomenon where time passes at different rates depending on the strength of the gravitational field. The equation for gravitational time dilation in a spherically symmetric non-rotating mass is sqrt(1-2GM/rc^2), where M is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the center, and c is the speed of light. This can be observed in the Global Positioning Satellite System (GPS) and is also affected by motion. In a scenario where someone is traveling in a plane at a high velocity, according to special relativity, time would delay for the observer at sea level, while according to general relativity, time would speed up due to being away from the center of gravity
Ahmed Samra
Can you tell me examples for the gravitational time dilation and its answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the Global Positioning Satellite System (GPS). If gravitational time dilation were not well understood, the GPS system would have you driving your car into buildings and in corn fields and rivers.

I understood the gravitational time dilation but I can't understand it's equation. Can you explain the equation to me?

I mean to tell me it's units and what do they mean

Can you explain to me the equation about the non - rotating sphere and when do I use it

In a spherically symmetric gravitational field, where the clock has no motion at all in relation to the field, the amount of time passed as measured with the clock will vary with the factor:

[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}}[/tex]

So the deeper in a gravitational field you are, the more your clock will slow down. Was that what you wanted to know?

So, by this equation I will figure out the gravitational time dilation?

Ahmed Samra said:
So, by this equation I will figure out the gravitational time dilation?

Yes. You can plug in the mass of the Earth and different radial distances from the centre of the Earth and see how much time slows down at that position compared to if the Earth had not been present.

Okay thank you it helped :)

Is there a particular scenario you are trying to understand?

I just want to know is this the right equation for calculating the gravitational time dilation

Ahmed Samra said:
Is this the right equation? For calculating the gravitational time dilation? http://genesismission.4t.com/Physics/gtd.htm

yes, that is the correct equation for a spherically symmetric non-rotating mass.

please please please stop repeat-posting - it doesn't get you any faster answers and it clutters up the forum, and it makes work for the (underappreciated, overworked, infinitely patient) moderators who have to clean u the mess.

Post one single question as clearly as possible, then shut up and wait until you get either an answer or a request for clarification.

If I am traveling in a plane by a velocity 15000 km/s according to special relativity the time will delay for the reference frame of the observer at the sea level. So, let's say time decreased by 7 ns. However, according to general relativity time will speed up because I am away from the centre of gravity, so time will speed up according to the reference frame of the observer at the sea level, and let's say that time will peed up about 47 ns. 47-7=40 ns. So, the time will increase about 40 ns am i right?

Related to Examples for gravitational time dilation

1. What is gravitational time dilation?

Gravitational time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass more slowly in the presence of a strong gravitational field. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does gravitational time dilation occur?

Gravitational time dilation occurs because massive objects, such as planets or stars, create a distortion in the fabric of space-time. This distortion causes time to flow at a different rate for objects at different distances from the massive object.

3. Can we observe gravitational time dilation?

Yes, we can observe gravitational time dilation through experiments and observations. For example, atomic clocks placed at different altitudes on Earth have been shown to tick at slightly different rates due to the difference in gravitational fields.

4. Are there any real-life examples of gravitational time dilation?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of gravitational time dilation. One of the most famous examples is the time dilation experienced by astronauts in space, as their spacecraft orbits around Earth at high speeds and in a weaker gravitational field.

5. How does gravitational time dilation affect our daily lives?

Gravitational time dilation has a very small effect on our daily lives, as the gravitational fields on Earth are relatively weak. However, it is a crucial factor in technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise time measurements for accurate navigation. Without taking into account gravitational time dilation, GPS devices would be inaccurate by several kilometers.