Excitons in Multiple QWs

• Thread starter phy127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the calculated and experimental results for the exciton energy in GaAs/AlAs quantum wells. The speaker shares the model used for the calculation, which includes the band gap energy of GaAs, the first energy levels of the QW, and the Rydberg energy. Despite removing the binding energy, the calculated results are still lower than the experimental results. The effect of multiple QWs or embedding a single QW in a superlattice on the exciton energy is questioned, as well as the existence of simple models for calculating these energies. The indirect nature of AlAs and the split of band gaps are also mentioned as possible factors to consider. Additional research and papers are suggested for further understanding
phy127
I have tried solving for the exciton energy in GaAs/AlAs QWs but my calculated results do not agree with published experimental results.

My model in the calculation is just a single GaAs well with AlAs barriers. Using the material parameters of both materials, and the well width, I calculated the heavy-hole exciton energy as

Ehh = E_gap_GaAs + EcQw + EhhQw - Ryd*4

where E_gap_GaAs is the GaAs band gap energy
EcQw and EhhQw are the first energy levels of the QW
Ryd is the 3D Rydberg energy accounting for the binding energy part

However, all my calculations are always smaller than the experimental results even if I remove the binding energy. Now, I'm beginning to wonder what is the effect of multiple QWs or embedding a single QW on a superlatice on the exciton energy.

By the way, I used the finite well model to calculate the quantized energy levels---those that involve the tangent something found in undergrad quantum physics.

QUESTIONS:
1. What is the effect of multiple quantum wells or embedding a single QW in a superlattice on the exciton energy? On the effective band gap (i mean without excitonic effects)?

2. Are there simple models (for multiple QWs) to calculate those energies?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of comments:

AlAS is an indirect material, did you take that into account.

Your 4Rydberg term, are you taking into account that in a well, the exciton is 2-d in nature.

When you calculated the well energies, what did you assume for the split of the band gaps i.e. 60/40 or what?

other questions will follow. Look for a couple of papers by Madarasz and Szmulowicz from the late '80's to mid '90's.

Thanks for your reply Dr. Transport

I know, AlAs is an indirect material. But the well is anyway GaAs. So I just need the AlAs bandgap at the zone center for calculating the confinement energy in the GaAs well. (Am I right in doing this?)

Yes, I completely taken into account the 2D nature of QW excitons. That's why the binding energy is 4 times the 3D Rydberg energy.

I actually used 35/65 for the band offset following 2001 collection of band parameters by Vurgaftman et al.. I also used 60/40, still the same, my calculated energy is lower than the published results.

Related to Excitons in Multiple QWs

What are excitons?

Excitons are quasiparticles that form when an electron is excited and moves to a higher energy level, leaving behind a positively charged "hole" in the original energy level. The electron and the hole are attracted to each other and form an exciton.

What are multiple quantum wells (QWs)?

Multiple quantum wells are thin layers of semiconducting materials that are stacked on top of each other, creating a layered structure. Each layer is typically only a few nanometers thick and has different properties, allowing for precise control over the properties of the material.

How are excitons formed in multiple QWs?

Excitons are formed in multiple QWs when an electron and a hole are confined to different layers of the structure. The strong attractive force between the electron and the hole allows them to remain close together, creating an exciton.

What are the properties of excitons in multiple QWs?

The properties of excitons in multiple QWs can be manipulated by changing the thickness and composition of the layers. This allows for control over the exciton energy, binding energy, and lifetime. The properties of excitons can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and electric fields.

What are the potential applications of excitons in multiple QWs?

Excitons in multiple QWs have potential applications in optoelectronics, such as in the development of more efficient light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and solar cells. They can also be used in quantum computing and information processing due to their unique properties and ability to interact with light.