Excluding a simple dark matter candidate

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of excluding certain candidates for cold dark matter (CDM) based on empirical evidence and the necessity for interaction with standard matter and mass. The topic of a simple candidate for dark matter, a complex scalar field with a high mass and colored properties, is also brought up and its potential interactions with usual matter are considered. The existence of strong bounds from mono-jet searches at the LHC is mentioned, although further research would be needed to fully explore this model's potential.
Ilja
With http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/0705.4298v2.pdf and http://arxiv.org/pdf/1410.2236.pdf I have found some interesting information that there is a lot of empirical evidence to exclude a lot of CDM candidates. All what is necessary is some cross section for interaction with standard matter and the mass.

Indeed, the reasoning is clear, to be the CDM one needs to get the dynamics of the galaxy right one needs a certain density. And, once it interacts not very much with usual matter, one has also a certain estimate for its average velocity - at least the part of it which is necessary to explain the dynamics of the galaxy it is gravitationally catched by the galaxy, thus, has the average velocities of objects gravitationally catched by the galaxy.

Now, I have a question which, I would guess, will be already solved. Assume a simple candidate for dark matter: A complex scalar field (or, more accurate, three of them) which are colored. And have some mass, at least orders of magnitudes greater than quark masses.

I would guess such particles would form, similar to the usual way, some color-free combinations, which would be, also, once they contain at least on of such heavy particles, also sufficiently heavy. But, once they contain some gluons, they would interact with usual matter. There seems not much freedom of choice in this simple model, quite straightforward, with essentially only its mass as the free parameter. So I would guess it has been already considered, with all the parameters, in particular the scattering cross section with nucleons already computed somewhere, with, I would guess, a large range of possible masses already excluded.

Does anybody know where to find the corresponding information about such a trivial model?

Space news on Phys.org
I would guess there are pretty strong bounds from mono-jet searches at the LHC up to several 100s of GeV. I do not have any particular references off the top of my head though.

Such a model would also have to deal with possible decays via Higgses and changed running behaviour of SU(3), but again this is just off the top of my head without thinking too hard about it.

FAQ: Excluding a simple dark matter candidate

What is dark matter and why is it important to study?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up most of the matter in the universe. It is important to study because it has a significant impact on the structure and evolution of the universe, and its properties can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics.

What is a simple dark matter candidate and why is it being excluded?

A simple dark matter candidate is a type of particle that is considered a potential candidate for dark matter, such as the neutralino in supersymmetry. It is being excluded because recent experiments and observations have ruled out the existence of such particles as the sole source of dark matter.

What other types of particles could make up dark matter?

There are several other types of particles that have been proposed as potential dark matter candidates, such as WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles), axions, sterile neutrinos, and primordial black holes. However, none of these have been confirmed as the true nature of dark matter.

How do scientists study dark matter if it cannot be directly observed?

Scientists study dark matter through its gravitational effects on visible matter and light. This can be done through observations of the rotation of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the large-scale structure of the universe. Experiments are also being conducted to try and directly detect dark matter particles.

What are the current theories and hypotheses about the nature of dark matter?

There are several theories and hypotheses about the nature of dark matter, including Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND), which suggests that the laws of gravity need to be modified, and the idea that dark matter may be made up of a combination of different particles rather than just one type. Other theories propose new fundamental forces or extra dimensions that could explain dark matter.