Exercise Program Homework: Calculating Jumps & Time Needed

In summary, the goal of the exercise program is to burn up to 500 food calories in each daily session, with human muscles being about 20% efficient in converting energy into mechanical energy. The program consists of consecutive high jumps of 50cm into the air lasting 2s. To calculate the number of jumps needed, the potential energy of the person is first found and then multiplied by 0.20. The value obtained is then divided by 2092J (obtained by converting the 500 food calories into joules). However, it is important to note that a food calorie is actually 1000 calories, and 1 calorie is about 4184 joules. By using the correct conversion factor, the number
Emethyst

Homework Statement

A 75kg person is put on an exercise program by a physical therapist, the goal being to burn up to 500 food calories in each daily session. Human muscles are about 20% efficient in converting energy into mechanical energy. The exercise program consists of a set of consecutive high jumps, each one 50cm into the air and lasting 2s. How many jumps should the person do per session, and how much time should be set aside for each session?

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy, potential energy, conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this by first finding the potential energy of the person, and then using this value to calculate the energy burned by multiplying it by 0.20. Afterwards, I divided 2092J (obtained by converting the 500 food calories into joules) by the energy burned. The value I obtained was much too small, so I know I'm going wrong somewhere, I just don't know where, although I think I might have converted the food calories wrong. If anyone can point me in the right direction here it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember a food calorie is really 1000 calories (ie 1kcal)
so 1 joule = 2.3901×10^−4 kcal or 1 kcal is about 4184 joules

Ahh I thought I converted it wrong, thanks for pointing out my mistake, however, if I use the new value that gives me, I get an answer too large (2.85x10^4 when it should be 1.1x10^3); is there some other place I'm going wrong here?

Related to Exercise Program Homework: Calculating Jumps & Time Needed

1. How do I calculate the number of jumps I need to do in my exercise program?

To calculate the number of jumps needed, you will need to know the duration of each jump and the total duration of your exercise program. Divide the total duration by the duration of each jump to get the number of jumps needed.

2. How do I determine the duration of each jump in my exercise program?

The duration of each jump will depend on the type of jump you are doing. If you are doing basic jumps, each jump may last 1-2 seconds. If you are doing more advanced jumps, the duration may be longer. It is important to time your jumps and determine an average duration for accuracy.

3. Can I use a timer to track the duration of my jumps?

Yes, using a timer is a great way to track the duration of each jump. You can use a stopwatch or the timer on your phone to accurately time each jump.

4. How do I determine the total duration of my exercise program?

The total duration of your exercise program will depend on the number of jumps you need to do and the duration of each jump. Multiply the number of jumps by the duration of each jump to get the total duration.

5. Is it important to track the number of jumps and duration in my exercise program?

Yes, it is important to track the number of jumps and duration in your exercise program to ensure you are meeting your fitness goals and to monitor progress. It also helps to keep you accountable and motivated to stick to your exercise routine.