Exercise with intersection and sum

In summary: This in order to have three linearly independent vectors of ##U##, right? And does it have to be three parameters only?Yes, 3 parameters only. You can verify that the vectors in this formula are linearly independent, and span U.I know that the subspace of a general intersection ##U \cap V## is made of vectors ##\vec v## that belong to both subspaces and that you can write them as ##\vec v = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 = \beta_1 \vec v_1 + \beta_2 \vec v_2##. This
Kernul
My professor did this exercise that I didn't quite get how she went through all of it.
We have a ##U = {(x, y, z, t) : x+y+z+t = 0}## and ##B_{Im(f)} = \left[ \begin{pmatrix}
7 \\
-3 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix},
\begin{pmatrix}
3 \\
-3 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix},
\begin{pmatrix}
5 \\
0 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}\right]## with ##dim(Im(f)) = 3##.
The exercise asks the base and dimension of ##Im(f) \cap U## and of ##Im(f) + U##.

Now she starts the exercise doing this:
##x = - y - z - t##
and
##\left\{
\begin{array}{l}
y = a\\
z = b\\
t = c\\
x = - a - b - c
\end{array}
\right.##
After this she writes
##U = \left\{a \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} + b \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
0 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} + c \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} : a, b, c \in \mathbb{R}\right\}##
then she writes ##dim(U) = 3## and ##B_U = \left[
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
0 \\
1 \\
-1 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}\right]##
So here they come my first questions:
1) Why did she put ##x = - y - z - t##?
2) Why did she put everything in a system and put ##y = a, z = b, t = c##?

Then she starts with the intersection saying
##\vec v \in Im(f) \Rightarrow \vec 0##
and then she writes
##\vec v = \alpha \begin{pmatrix}
7 \\
-3 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} + \beta \begin{pmatrix}
3 \\
-3 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} + \gamma \begin{pmatrix}
5 \\
0 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
7\alpha + 3\beta + 5\gamma \\
-3\alpha - 3\beta \\
\gamma \\
-5\gamma
\end{pmatrix}##
then she put all these in a single equation
##7\alpha + 3\beta + 5\gamma -3\alpha - 3\beta + \gamma -5\gamma = 0##
that becomes ##\gamma = -4\alpha##.
After finding that, she substitutes to all the ##\gamma## in the last matrix and does the operations and she writes
##Im(f) \cap U = \left\{\begin{pmatrix}
- 13\alpha + 3\beta \\
-3\alpha - 3\beta \\
-4\alpha \\
20\alpha
\end{pmatrix} = \alpha \begin{pmatrix}
-13 \\
-3 \\
-4 \\
3 \\
-3 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} : \alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{R}\right\}##
then she writes ##dim(Im(f) \cap U) = 2## and using a formula(that I know it's the Graussmann formula) writes ##dim(Im(f) + U) = dim(Im(f)) + dim(U) - dim(Im(f) \cap U) = 3 + 3 - 2 = 4## and then she writes ##Im(f) + U = \mathbb{R}^4##
My questions are:
3) Why did she put the vector ##\vec v## only belonging to ##Im(f)##? Shouldn't it belong to ##U## too in order to know the intersection between the two subspaces?
4) Why didn't she write, in the ##\vec v## equation, the independent vectors of ##U## too?
5) Why at one point she sum all the frist, second, third and fourth rows of the vectors in one matrix? And why after that she put everything in a normal equation?
6) And in the end, what does ##Im(f) + U = \mathbb{R}^4## mean?

Sorry for all these questions but really I can't understand how she did all this. I know how to solve it differently but I want to know why she did like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) that's the condition for (x,y,z,t) to be a point in U.
2) the idea is to express this point in terms of three parameters
3) how do you think she got that 'single equation'? She had a column vector representing v, then somehow produced a scalar equation from it by adding up the elements of the vector and saying that sum is zero. That is the condition for v being an element of U, is it not?
I'll leave it at that, since the rest may become clear to you now.

haruspex said:
1) that's the condition for (x,y,z,t) to be a point in U.
Why? Is this the only way? What would have happen if it had been something like ##U = {(x, y, z, t) : x +2y +z = 0}##? I would have simply done ##x = -2y - z## and then put ##y = a, z = b, t = c##? Does it work like this?

haruspex said:
2) the idea is to express this point in terms of three parameters
This in order to have three linearly independent vectors of ##U##, right? And does it have to be three parameters only?

haruspex said:
3) how do you think she got that 'single equation'? She had a column vector representing v, then somehow produced a scalar equation from it by adding up the elements of the vector and saying that sum is zero. That is the condition for v being an element of U, is it not?
I know that the subspace of a general intersection ##U \cap V## is made of vectors ##\vec v## that belong to both subspaces and that you can write them as ##\vec v = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 = \beta_1 \vec v_1 + \beta_2 \vec v_2##. This means that
##\alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 - \beta_1 \vec v_1 - \beta_2 \vec v_2 = \vec 0##
but in the exercise the professor didn't put the vectors of the other subspace, she only put those of ##Im(f)##.
I know that we have to check if they are linearly independent. Like, for example, ##\vec u_1, \vec u_2## are independent and we have to check if ##\vec v_1## is dependent to ##\vec u_1, \vec u_2##, checking this with ##\vec v_1 = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2##. Some thing for ##\vec v_2##. This is what I know about the intersection. Am I wrong?

Kernul said:
Why?
Because U was defined like this: ##U = {(x, y, z, t) : x+y+z+t = 0}##
Kernul said:
Is this the only way? What would have happen if it had been something like ##U = {(x, y, z, t) : x +2y +z = 0}##? I would have simply done ##x = -2y - z## and then put ##y = a, z = b, t = c##? Does it work like this?
Yes, pretty much. Alternatively you could do it like this:
x = -2y - z
y = y
z = ... z
t = ... t
If you stare at this long enough, you start to see that a vector v has this form:
##\vec{v} = \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ t \end{bmatrix} = y\begin{bmatrix} -2 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + z \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + t\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}##
Here, the parameters are y, z, and t.
The equation x + 2y + z = 0 has three variables, so two of the variables are going to be free (or parameters), plus your equation doesn't involve t at all, so it is free as well. I chose y and z (and t) to be the free variables, but you could choose any other two. With three free variables, geometrically the solution is going to be a 3-D space in ##\mathbb{R}^43##. This space takes three vectors to describe.
Kernul said:
This in order to have three linearly independent vectors of ##U##, right? And does it have to be three parameters only?

I know that the subspace of a general intersection ##U \cap V## is made of vectors ##\vec v## that belong to both subspaces and that you can write them as ##\vec v = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 = \beta_1 \vec v_1 + \beta_2 \vec v_2##. This means that
##\alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 - \beta_1 \vec v_1 - \beta_2 \vec v_2 = \vec 0##
but in the exercise the professor didn't put the vectors of the other subspace, she only put those of ##Im(f)##.
I know that we have to check if they are linearly independent. Like, for example, ##\vec u_1, \vec u_2## are independent and we have to check if ##\vec v_1## is dependent to ##\vec u_1, \vec u_2##, checking this with ##\vec v_1 = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2##. Some thing for ##\vec v_2##. This is what I know about the intersection. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
##\vec{v} = \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ t \end{bmatrix} = y\begin{bmatrix} -2 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + z \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + t\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}##
##\vec{v} = \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = y\begin{bmatrix} -2 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + z\begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\0 \end{bmatrix} + t\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\1\end{bmatrix}##

Mark44 said:
haruspex said:
##\vec{v} = \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = y\begin{bmatrix} -2 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + z\begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\0 \end{bmatrix} + t\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\1\end{bmatrix}##
It took me a while to get the glitch out of my LaTeX, but I figured it out.
I don't see any reason why the t coordinate of ##\vec{v}## should be 0. ##\vec{v} \in \mathbb{R}^4##, so it has four coordinates, but no restriction on t.

Kernul said:
in the exercise the professor didn't put the vectors of the other subspace, she only put those of Im(f)
She wrote v as a linear sum of the basis vectors of Im(f). She then applied the condition for membership of U to get a restriction on the coefficients. Therefore v has been defined as an arbitrary member of the intersection.

haruspex said:
She wrote v as a linear sum of the basis vectors of Im(f).
Gotcha. I got a little confused between the original problem and the other example the OP posted and asked about.

So, in order to get ##\vec v## we can simply use one of the two subspaces? I mean, if I wanted to, could I have done something like this
$$\vec v = \alpha \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
1 \\
0 \\
-1 \\
0 \\
1 \\
-1 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}$$
and solve it like the professor did with the vectors of ##Im(f)##?

Kernul said:
So, in order to get ##\vec v## we can simply use one of the two subspaces? I mean, if I wanted to, could I have done something like this
$$\vec v = \alpha \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
1 \\
0 \\
-1 \\
0 \\
1 \\
-1 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}$$
and solve it like the professor did with the vectors of ##Im(f)##?
Not sure what you meant by the last phrase, but if you mean solve it by applying the conditions for being in Im(f), then yes.

What do you mean "solve it by applying the conditions for being in ##Im(f)##"? Are you saying that ##U \subseteq Im(f)##?

Kernul said:
What do you mean "solve it by applying the conditions for being in ##Im(f)##"? Are you saying that ##U \subseteq Im(f)##?
No. You want v to be in both subspaces. Your prof started by taking it to be in Im(f), and expressed that by writing it as a sum of basis vectors. She then needed to make it a member of U as well. She did that by applying the condition for membership of U to the coefficients in the sum.
You can equally do it the other way around: write it as a sum of basis vectors of U then apply the condition for membership of Im(f).

I don't understand what is the condition of membership. Where did she use it? Is the equation? Because all I see is calculations with vectors of ##Im(f)##.

Kernul said:
I don't understand what is the condition of membership. Where did she use it? Is the equation? Because all I see is calculations with vectors of ##Im(f)##.
After "and then she writes", there is an equation showing v as a linear sum of the basis vectors of Im(f). That makes v a member of Im(f).
Next, look at "and then she put all these in a single equation". To get from the equation for v to that equation she has simply added up the elements of v and set the result to zero. That is the condition for membership of U: x+y+z+t=0. So now v is in the intersection.

Oooh! Now I got it!
And what if I had, instead of ##U## written like the exercise I showed, something like this
$$B_U = \left[\begin{pmatrix}
2 \\
-5 \\
3 \\
0 \\
-7 \\
0 \\
9 \\
3 \\
\end{pmatrix}\right]$$
This means that I don't know that, for example, ##x + y + z + t = 0## or anything else like that, so I can't do the final equation.

Kernul said:
Oooh! Now I got it!
And what if I had, instead of ##U## written like the exercise I showed, something like this
$$B_U = \left[\begin{pmatrix}
2 \\
-5 \\
3 \\
0 \\
-7 \\
0 \\
9 \\
3 \\
\end{pmatrix}\right]$$
This means that I don't know that, for example, ##x + y + z + t = 0## or anything else like that, so I can't do the final equation.
I don't understand... that second vector is not in U, and to form a basis for U you need three vectors.

No, no! I mean like a new exercise!
Let's say that I have ##U## and ##V##. ##dim(U) = 2## and ##B_U## with two vectors, then ##dim(V) = 3## and ##B_V## with three vectors. Let's say that I want to know ##U \cap V##. In this case none of the two has a description like ##x + y + z + t = 0##, right? So, how should you proceed in this case? Like I said here?
Kernul said:
I know that the subspace of a general intersection U∩VU∩VU \cap V is made of vectors ⃗vv→\vec v that belong to both subspaces and that you can write them as ⃗v=α1⃗u1+α2⃗u2=β1⃗v1+β2⃗v2v→=α1u→1+α2u→2=β1v→1+β2v→2\vec v = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 = \beta_1 \vec v_1 + \beta_2 \vec v_2. This means that
α1⃗u1+α2⃗u2−β1⃗v1−β2⃗v2=⃗0α1u→1+α2u→2−β1v→1−β2v→2=0→\alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2 - \beta_1 \vec v_1 - \beta_2 \vec v_2 = \vec 0
but in the exercise the professor didn't put the vectors of the other subspace, she only put those of Im(f)Im(f)Im(f).
I know that we have to check if they are linearly independent. Like, for example, ⃗u1,⃗u2u→1,u→2\vec u_1, \vec u_2 are independent and we have to check if ⃗v1v→1\vec v_1 is dependent to ⃗u1,⃗u2u→1,u→2\vec u_1, \vec u_2, checking this with ⃗v1=α1⃗u1+α2⃗u2v→1=α1u→1+α2u→2\vec v_1 = \alpha_1 \vec u_1 + \alpha_2 \vec u_2. Some thing for ⃗v2v→2\vec v_2. This is what I know about the intersection. Am I wrong?

FAQ: Exercise with intersection and sum

1. What is the purpose of exercise with intersection and sum?

The purpose of exercise with intersection and sum is to improve both physical and mental health by incorporating both cardiovascular exercise and mathematical problem-solving skills. This type of exercise can help improve cognitive function, reduce stress, and increase overall physical fitness.

2. How do you perform exercise with intersection and sum?

To perform exercise with intersection and sum, you can start by selecting two different numbers or sets of numbers. Then, you can add or subtract these numbers and find the intersection between them. Finally, you can perform a physical activity, such as jogging or jumping jacks, for the number of times that the intersection appears.

3. What are the benefits of exercise with intersection and sum?

There are several benefits of exercise with intersection and sum, including improved problem-solving skills, increased physical fitness, and reduced stress and anxiety. It also helps to engage both the mind and body, leading to a more well-rounded workout.

4. Can exercise with intersection and sum be modified for different fitness levels?

Yes, exercise with intersection and sum can be modified for different fitness levels. You can adjust the difficulty of the mathematical problems and the intensity of the physical activity to suit your fitness level and goals.

5. How often should exercise with intersection and sum be done?

The frequency of exercise with intersection and sum will depend on individual fitness goals and abilities. However, it is generally recommended to incorporate this type of exercise into your routine at least 2-3 times per week for optimal benefits.