Existence of the Square Root Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a step in the proof of theorem 1.35 in chapter 3 of Apostol's Calculus. It is established that the set S is nonempty by showing that a/(1+a) is in S. This is used with the binomial theorem to finish off the proof. The conversation also touches on the intermediate value theorem and the continuity of squaring. The conversation ends with confusion about a specific step in the proof involving a number c.
Ronnin
I was playing trying to work through a proof in Apostol's Calculus and can't quite understand a step noted. This is from chapter 3, theorem 1.35. Every nonnegative real number has a unique nonnegative square root. The part where you are establishing the set S as nonempty so you can use LUB it is stated that a/(1+a) is in the set S. I've seen different choices for this on other versions of this proof. When I first looked at this I figured it was in S for the reason that that would produce a square of a fraction which would produce something smaller than a. But it looks like this is then used with the binomial theorem to finish off the proof. I don't follow it. Can someone walk me through the logic in this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, [itex]\frac{a}{1+a}[/itex] is in S because it is positive and because

[tex]\frac{a^2}{(1+a)^2}\leq a[/tex]

To see this, note that this is equivalent to

[tex]a\leq (1+a)^2[/tex]

or

[tex]a\leq 1+a^2+2a[/tex]

And this is certainly true.

This book never ceases to make me feel stupid. Thanks Micro for making that clearer.

do you believe the intermediate value theorem? If so you only need to prove that squaring is continuous. since (a+h)^2 = a^2 + 2h + h^2, it is clear that making h small will make a^2 close to (a+h)^2. qed.

Now I'm lost again. We are trying to prove that the LUB^2 (LUB=b) cannot be any other value but a. From this point on I don't follow the proof at all. For instance to test if LUB^2>a he sets a number c=b-(b^2-a)/(2b). Where did that come from?

I know this is binomial trickery but I just don't see it. Any ideas?

FAQ: Existence of the Square Root Proof

1. What is the Existence of the Square Root Proof?

The Existence of the Square Root Proof is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the existence of the square root of any positive real number. In other words, it proves that every positive real number has a square root that is also a real number.

2. Who first discovered the Existence of the Square Root Proof?

The first known proof of the Existence of the Square Root was discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician, Pythagoras. However, there have been multiple variations and improvements made to the proof by other mathematicians over the years.

3. How does the Existence of the Square Root Proof work?

The proof uses the fundamental concept of the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By manipulating this equation, the proof shows that the square root of any positive real number must exist.

4. Why is the Existence of the Square Root Proof important?

The Existence of the Square Root Proof is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that is used in many other areas, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It also helps to demonstrate the completeness of the real number system and the power of mathematical proofs.

5. Are there any limitations to the Existence of the Square Root Proof?

The Existence of the Square Root Proof is limited to positive real numbers. It does not apply to complex numbers or negative real numbers. Additionally, the proof assumes the validity of the Pythagorean Theorem, which has its own set of limitations and exceptions.