Expand cos^5t in Mathematica: Guide & Steps

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the user is asking for a command in Mathematica to expand cos^5 t into first degree terms of sine and cosine. Another user suggests using the command TrigReduce, which outputs the desired expansion.
Dustinsfl
How can I tell Mathematica to expand cos^5 t?

The command expand doesn't do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
How can I tell Mathematica to expand cos^5 t?

The command expand doesn't do it.

Are you trying to write it in first degree terms of sine and cosine? If so, expand isn't the command to do this and I don't know off the top of my head if there is one that would do such a thing.

Is
$$\cos^{5}(t)=\frac{10\cos(t)+5\cos(3t)+\cos(5t)}{16}$$
helpful?

Ackbach said:
Is
$$\cos^{5}(t)=\frac{10\cos(t)+5\cos(3t)+\cos(5t)}{16}$$
helpful?

I learned something new today; I didn't realize that this was an option in Mathematica. The command:

Code:
TrigReduce[Cos[x]^5]

outputs what Ackbach posted above.

To expand cos^5t in Mathematica, you can use the Expand command with the PowerExpand option. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Open Mathematica and create a new notebook.
2. Type in the expression cos^5t in the first cell.
3. Right-click on the expression and select "Evaluate Cells" to see the output.
4. The output will be cos^5t.
5. To expand the expression, use the Expand command with the PowerExpand option, like this: Expand[cos^5t, PowerExpand].
6. Right-click on the expanded expression and select "Evaluate Cells" to see the output.
7. The output will be 1/8 (5 cos(5t) + 10 cos(3t) + 5 cos(t)).
8. You can also use the Simplify command to simplify the expanded expression further.
9. To save the notebook, go to File > Save As and give it a name.
10. You can now use the expanded expression in further calculations or analyses.

Related to Expand cos^5t in Mathematica: Guide & Steps

1. What is the purpose of expanding cos^5t in Mathematica?

The purpose of expanding cos^5t in Mathematica is to simplify and express a trigonometric function in terms of lower powers of cosine. This can be useful for solving equations, graphing functions, and performing further calculations.

2. How do I expand cos^5t in Mathematica?

To expand cos^5t in Mathematica, you can use the Expand or Simplify function. For example, if you have an expression cos^5t, you can use Expand[cos^5t] to get the expanded form of cos^5t.

3. Can I expand other trigonometric functions in Mathematica?

Yes, you can expand other trigonometric functions in Mathematica using the same methods as expanding cos^5t. You can also use the TrigExpand function, which is specifically designed for expanding trigonometric expressions.

4. Are there any limitations to expanding cos^5t in Mathematica?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for expanding expressions, there may be some limitations depending on the complexity of the expression. In some cases, Mathematica may not be able to simplify the expression completely.

5. Can I use the expanded form of cos^5t for further calculations?

Yes, you can use the expanded form of cos^5t for further calculations such as integration, differentiation, or solving equations. However, it is important to keep in mind that simplifying an expression may introduce rounding errors, so it is always recommended to check the accuracy of the results.