Expanding f(x) = x/(x+1) about a=10

In summary, the student is having trouble arriving at the correct answer for a function which is in the form 1/1-x. He starts by computing the derivatives and gets f'(x) = 1/(x+1)^2 and f''(x) = (-2(x+1))/(x+1)^4. Then, he evaluates each at 10. Next, he uses the equation f(10) = 10/11 to solve for x. Finally, he takes the derivative of f(10) with respect to x to get x/1-x = 1/1-x.
forestmine

Homework Statement

Expand f(x) = x/(x+1) in a taylor series about a=10.

Homework Equations

f(x) = Ʃ (f^n(a)*(x-a)^n / n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time arriving at the correct answer..I think I'm definitely getting lost somewhere along the way. Here's what I've got so far:

I started by computing the derivatives.
f'(x) = 1/(x+1)^2

f''(x) = (-2(x+1))/(x+1)^4

Then evaluating each at 10:

f'(10) = 1/121

f''(10) = -22/14641

and f(10) = 10/11

Then, using the above equation,

10/11 + 1/121 * (x-10) + (-22/11^4 * (x-10)^2)/2 + ...

This doesn't really take me in the right direction at all, though. I know x/1-x is near the form 1/1-x which I need for a power series expansion. Should I be trying to represent it as such?

Hope this is clear! I'm quite confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the series expansion of

[tex]\frac{1}{1-y}[/tex]

??

Try to write your function in that form.

Ok, I had a feeling that was the direction I should be heading in. So, writing it in that form, I get

1/1 - (-1/x)

and so my series becomes from n=0 to infinity, (-1/x)^n

Am I on the right track at least?

Maybe I'll do an instructive example:

[tex]\frac{1}{x+10}=-\frac{1}{-10-x}=-\frac{1}{-18-(x-8)}=\frac{1}{18}\frac{1}{1-(x-8)/(-18)}=\frac{1}{18}\sum \frac{1}{(-18)^n}(x-8)^n[/tex]

I hope I didn't make any typos. But that's basically it.

Ok, I follow all of that except where you factor out 1/18. Shouldn't the 1 in the denominator, 1-(x-8)/(-18) be negative?

And then your series emerges from the fact that 1/1-x = summation x^n, where -(x-8)/-18 is your x, correct?

So, that's kinda what I tried...here it is step by step...

x/1+x = 1/(1/x+1) = 1/(1- (-1/x)

And my x for the series is (-1/x)

forestmine said:
Ok, I follow all of that except where you factor out 1/18. Shouldn't the 1 in the denominator, 1-(x-8)/(-18) be negative?

And then your series emerges from the fact that 1/1-x = summation x^n, where -(x-8)/-18 is your x, correct?

So, that's kinda what I tried...here it is step by step...

x/1+x = 1/(1/x+1) = 1/(1- (-1/x)

And my x for the series is (-1/x)

OK, I might have made some mistakes in my post, but you get the point I see.

But what you did is NOT allowed at all. You did [itex]\frac{1}{x+1}=\frac{1}{x}+1[/itex] which is very, very, very wrong!

What you should do is forget the x in the numerator for a second and try to make something out of

[tex]\frac{1}{1+x}[/tex]

We'll worry about the numerator later.

Hm, I'm confused. I just factored an x out of the denominator, and canceled it with the numerator, but that's not ok?

Ok, but ignoring the numerator for now...it would just be

1/1-(-x), and so for my series, x = -x ?Thanks for the help by the way! :) I really appreciate it.

forestmine said:
Hm, I'm confused. I just factored an x out of the denominator, and canceled it with the numerator, but that's not ok?

Your second step is not ok.

Ok, but ignoring the numerator for now...it would just be

1/1-(-x), and so for my series, x = -x ?

Remember that you would like to expand the series around a=10.
What you're doing now is fine, except that your expansion is around a=0 now.

Ahh! That's right!

So in that case,

Ʃ(-x-10)n

No, that's not correct.

Ah, ok, in that case, I'm lost. For taylor series, the derivative is involved, but I don't see what I'd be taking the derivative of? And I know that Taylor series is summation of f'(a)(x-a)/n!, but I'm not sure how to get this into those terms.

Edit// I take that back...I don't think the derivative is involved at all, and this is just a straight-forward power-series. Although, I'm still not sure how to represent it in terms of a. Does my a affect the original function immediately, or do I incorporate it as part of the series later?

Last edited:
I've been able to make sense of my teacher's solution up to a point...

He starts with,

((x-10)+10)/((x-10) + 11)

Now, I can see how in doing that, he hasn't changed the original problem at all, and he has incorporated the a=10 right away. But...I don't really see how exactly the a is being incorporated, other than arbitrarily being thrown into the function? It could just as easily have been (x-5 + 5)/(x-5+6) for that matter, right?

From there, he breaks the above up into a sum of two fractions, and then sets (x-10) = u. And from there he proceeds to set up a series, but I don't even understand the aforementioned step, so I can't quite figure out what's going on with the series.

Related to Expanding f(x) = x/(x+1) about a=10

What is the purpose of expanding a Taylor Series?

The purpose of expanding a Taylor Series is to approximate a function using a polynomial. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the function.

What is the formula for expanding a Taylor Series?

The formula for expanding a Taylor Series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + \frac{f''(a)}{2!}(x-a)^2 + \frac{f'''(a)}{3!}(x-a)^3 + ... + \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n, where n is the number of terms in the expansion and a is the point of expansion.

How many terms should be used in a Taylor Series expansion?

The number of terms used in a Taylor Series expansion depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What is the significance of the point of expansion in a Taylor Series?

The point of expansion, denoted as a in the formula, is the point at which the function is being approximated. This point is important because it determines the location of the polynomial's center and affects the accuracy of the approximation.

Can a Taylor Series be used to approximate any function?

A Taylor Series can only be used to approximate functions that are infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion. If a function is not infinitely differentiable at that point, the Taylor Series will not accurately represent the function.