Expanding Light: Wave's Radius Increase - Why Not Dim?

In summary: The wave model does not have this problem because intensity is not modeled by the number of photons.In summary, the radius of a light wave increases as it travels outward, causing the intensity (represented by wave amplitude) to decrease. This means that the number of photons reaching a given point also decreases, resulting in a fainter light. This is true for all waves, including light waves, and is due to the spreading out of the wave over a larger and larger surface. At an infinite distance, the intensity of light would reach zero, but this is not possible in reality as infinity is not a
vorcil
here it goes

you know how from the origin of a light wave in space
i.e a star

when the waves of light travel outwards, the radius of that wave increases right?

dosen't that mean that the wave loses energy at those infinite points along the wave as the circumference of that wave increases?

i'll try draw a quick picture in paint,
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3512/sunpic.jpg

because the way i see it,
take a photon on the outer edge of the wave, it expands right? to get the radius to increase? so dosen't it lose energy?
so wouldn't that mean that the star light we see is actually more dim?

i think this is the same for all waves,
would someone please explain to me why I'm wrong?

I'm not really sure how to explain it, but I've had this idea in my head ever since i finished college and started Uni

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If so, why does the wave increase it's radius in the first place?

shouldn't it go in a straight line? leaving blank spaces between the waves as it gets MUCH further away
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2271/sunpicq.jpg
and i know that is false because we see light from millions of lightyears away
so the waves must radiate outwards, bringing me back to my original idea, dosen't it lose energy as it expands radially outwards?

why do waves travel out in a circle?

vorcil said:
dosen't that mean that the wave loses energy at those infinite points along the wave as the circumference of that wave increases?
The wave doesn't lose energy, but intensity (energy is proportional to wavelength, intensity to the number of photons).
vorcil said:
because the way i see it,
take a photon on the outer edge of the wave, it expands right? to get the radius to increase? so dosen't it lose energy?
so wouldn't that mean that the star light we see is actually more dim?
The wave is spread out over a larger and larger surface (as it travels outward). As the radius increases, the photons are spread further and further apart, and the intensity (# of photons) decreases. So lower intensity means less photons, which means fainter light. (Ignoring redshift/blueshift, these photons travel at the same wavelength and carry the same energy as when they were emitted).

Why does a wave travel outward from its source? I believe that answer is in the wave equation.

Tuomaaca said:
The wave doesn't lose energy, but intensity (energy is proportional to wavelength, intensity to the number of photons).

The photon model of light had an obvious answer (fewer photons), but I withheld because the OP was asking about the wave model of light...

But you're right. Intensity is what drops. Intensity is represented in the wave model by wave amplitude. So, as the wave spreads, its amplitude decreases.

DaveC426913 said:
The photon model of light had an obvious answer (fewer photons), but I withheld because the OP was asking about the wave model of light...

But you're right. Intensity is what drops. Intensity is represented in the wave model by wave amplitude. So, as the wave spreads, its amplitude decreases.

how does it decrease though? what would happens to the photon packets as they get infinitely small? like a photon on the edge of the universe, what's happening to it! the amplitude can't get smaller and smaller forever!

vorcil said:
how does it decrease though? what would happens to the photon packets as they get infinitely small? like a photon on the edge of the universe, what's happening to it! the amplitude can't get smaller and smaller forever!

as the radius doubles, the amplitude thus intensity halves?

what would happen to the amplitude at an infinite radius?
would the photon packet just disappear?

Yes, the intensity of any light source seen from an infinite distance would be zero.

- Warren

vorcil said:
as the radius doubles, the amplitude thus intensity halves?
for a 2-D wave, the amplitude would be divided by the circumference 2*pi*r.
In 3-D, it would decrease by the surface area of the sphere 4*pi*r^2.

The picture in the OP is wrong: you can demonstrate how waves propagate by dropping a rock in a pond: the wavelength does not increase as they propagate, only the amplitude decreases (as others have said)/

chroot said:
Yes, the intensity of any light source seen from an infinite distance would be zero.

- Warren

wouldn't that mean you have destroyed energy??!
i'm not talking about light seen, I'm talking about the actual photon of light itself, that has traveled that infinite distance, with it's intensity getting smaller and smaller

are you saying that it will reach 0?
what happens when it reaches 0?

It will reach zero when it reaches infinity...

...it won't reach infinity. Infinity is not a location.

vorcil said:
i'm not talking about light seen, I'm talking about the actual photon of light itself, that has traveled that infinite distance, with it's intensity getting smaller and smaller

It would be more proper to say that the intensity of light approaches zero as the distance approaches infinty. It will never actually become zero because you can never actually be an infinite distance away.

The energy of the photon itself does not decrease, only the number of photons that reach a given point at any time as the photons emitted are spread out over the surface of the expanding wave front.
At an infinite distance, you would have a finite number of photons spread over an infinite surface, so the chaces of any photon being at any point of the wavefront would be 0. But again, in reality you can never have an infinite separation, so this situation can never occur.

vorcil said:

In the photon model, intensity is modeled by the number of photons. "At infinity", the photons is so highly-dispersed that the number of photons that reach you is simply zero. i.e. you could wait forever for one photon to be detected.

DaveC426913 said:
In the photon model, intensity is modeled by the number of photons. "At infinity", the photons is so highly-dispersed that the number of photons that reach you is simply zero. i.e. you could wait forever for one photon to be detected.

This is what I'm talking about, wouldn't their be blank spots between the waves?
and shouldn't we think of the distance from another star to us being very large,

vorcil said:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2271/sunpicq.jpg

vorcil said:
This is what I'm talking about, wouldn't their be blank spots between the waves?
Essentially, yes. There are sensors that are capable of detecting a photon at a time or a very small number of photons to register a signal. Telescopes can gather individual photons separated by some distance and even time and focus them on a detector to develop an image.
and shouldn't we think of the distance from another star to us being very large,
Not sure what you mean. Yes, the distance between us and the stars is large compared to what we are typically used to.

russ_watters said:
Essentially, yes. There are sensors that are capable of detecting a photon at a time or a very small number of photons to register a signal. Telescopes can gather individual photons separated by some distance and even time and focus them on a detector to develop an image.
Not sure what you mean. Yes, the distance between us and the stars is large compared to what we are typically used to.

So potentially we are missing billions of stars because their photons are spread apart and not reaching us?

vorcil said:
So potentially we are missing billions of stars because their photons are spread apart and not reaching us?
Yes. They are dim.

This is why we make telescopes that are more and more powerful to gather very dim light.

But note, we are not at infinity from any stars, therefore the number of photons coming from them is not zero, just very, very few.

Related to Expanding Light: Wave's Radius Increase - Why Not Dim?

1. What is the concept of "Expanding Light"?

"Expanding Light" refers to the idea that as light travels through space, its wavelength and frequency remain constant, but its radius increases. This means that the light wave spreads out over a larger area as it travels, similar to how ripples in a pond spread out as they move away from the source.

2. How does the radius of a light wave increase?

The radius of a light wave increases due to diffraction, which is the bending of the wave as it encounters obstacles or passes through narrow openings. This causes the wave to spread out in a circular pattern, increasing its radius.

3. Why doesn't the expansion of light's radius cause it to lose intensity or brightness?

Despite the expansion of the light wave's radius, the intensity or brightness of the light remains constant. This is because the energy of the light wave is spread out over a larger area, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

4. How is the concept of "Expanding Light" relevant in daily life?

The concept of "Expanding Light" is relevant in various fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and photography. Understanding how light spreads out can help improve the transmission of signals, capture clearer images of distant objects, and create unique visual effects.

5. Are there any exceptions to the concept of "Expanding Light"?

While the concept of "Expanding Light" holds true for most scenarios, there are some exceptions. For example, in certain environments with specific conditions, light waves may behave differently and not expand in radius. These exceptions are typically studied and understood through the principles of optics and wave mechanics.