Expectation value, harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expectation values of xp and px for the nth energy eigenstate in a 1-d harmonic oscillator. The use of ladder operators is mentioned and an expression for xp in terms of the ladder operators is provided. However, there is a discrepancy in the final result.
broegger
Hi,

I have to find the expectation values of xp and px for nth energy eigenstate in the 1-d harmonic oscillator. If I know <xp> I can immediately find <px>since [x,p]=ih. I use the ladder operators [tex]a_{\pm}=\tfrac1{\sqrt{2\hslash m\omega}}(\mp ip+m\omega x)[/tex] to find <xp>, but I get a complex value, <xp>=ih/2. It doesn't seem right in the context of the rest of the exercise...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not...?Why should it be real...?:wink:

Daniel.

What's your expression for xp in terms of the ladder operators?

Well, xp is not hermitian, I see your point, dexter. My expression for xp is [tex]i\hslash/2({a_+}^2 + {a_-}^2 + 1)[/tex].

Could I be so bold as to ask how you got that expression for xp ?

I got it. I convert p to ladder operators using this formula:

[tex]\hat a_\pm=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2mh\omega}}(m\omega \hat x \mp i\hat p)[/tex]

Just isolate p. Then we use this formula for x in ladder operators:

[tex]\hat{x}=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(\hat a_++\hat a_-)[/tex]

Then we simply multiply x and p.

But what i get is a little bit different than above:

[tex]\hat x \hat p=\frac{i\hbar}{2}(\hat a_+^2-\nf\hat a_-^2+1)[/tex]

(note the - in the last formula)

But the final result is the same
[tex]<\hat x \hat p> = \frac{i\hbar}{2}[/tex]

FAQ: Expectation value, harmonic oscillator

1. What is the concept of expectation value in the context of the harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value in the context of the harmonic oscillator is the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or energy, over a large number of measurements. It represents the most probable value that would be obtained if the measurement were repeated many times.

2. How is the expectation value calculated for the harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value for a given physical quantity in the harmonic oscillator is calculated by taking the integral of the wave function multiplied by the operator corresponding to that quantity. This integral is then divided by the integral of the wave function squared. The result is the average value of that physical quantity.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value in the harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value provides a way to predict the most probable outcome of a measurement in the harmonic oscillator system. It also allows us to compare the results of different measurements and observe any patterns or trends.

4. Can the expectation value be negative in the harmonic oscillator?

No, the expectation value in the harmonic oscillator cannot be negative. This is because the wave function, which is squared in the calculation of the expectation value, is always positive. Therefore, the expectation value will always be a positive or zero value.

5. How does the expectation value change with different energy levels in the harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value increases as the energy level increases in the harmonic oscillator. This is because as the energy level increases, the wave function becomes more spread out and the probability of finding the particle at any given position also increases. This results in a higher average value for the position expectation value.

Back