Expectation value of kinetic energy (QM)

I got the same result using a different method (using the fact that ##\hat{\vec{p}}=-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}## and integrating by parts). So the final answer is: ##\langle \Psi_c, \frac{\hat{\vec{p}}^2}{2m}\Psi_c \rangle = \frac{c^2\hbar^2 \sqrt{\pi \alpha}}{2^{3/2}m}##.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In a QM problem I must calculate the expectation value of the kinetic energy, namely ##\langle \Psi _c ,\frac{ \hat { \vec p } ^2}{2m} \Psi _c \rangle##. Where ##\Psi _c=ce^{-\alpha x^2}##.

Homework Equations

##\int _{-\infty}^\infty \exp \{ -a x^2 +bx \} dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\exp \{ -\frac{b^2}{4a} \}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

##\langle \Psi _c ,\frac{ \hat { \vec p } ^2}{2m} \Psi _c \rangle = \int _{-\infty}^\infty c e^{-\alpha x^2} \frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(ce^{-\alpha x^2})dx####=...=-\frac{\hbar ^2}{m}\alpha c^2 \underbrace{\int _{-\infty}^\infty e^{-2\alpha x^2}dx}_{=I}+\frac{2\hbar ^2}{m} \alpha c^2 \underbrace{\int _{\infty}^\infty x^2 e^{-2\alpha x^2}dx}_{=J}##.
After some algebra, I reached that ##I=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}}## while ##J=\frac{\sqrt \pi}{2^{5/2}\alpha ^{3/2}}##.
From which I reached that ##\langle \Psi _c ,\frac{ \hat { \vec p } ^2}{2m} \Psi _c \rangle = \frac{\hbar ^2 c^2 \pi ^{1/2}}{2^{3/2}m} \left ( \frac{1}{\alpha ^{1/2}} -\alpha ^{1/2} \right )##.
But I'm having a hard time to swallow the fact that this number is negative if alpha is greater than 1. What do you think? I made some mistake somewhere?! Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
##\frac{\hbar ^2 c^2 \pi ^{1/2}}{2^{3/2}m} \left ( \frac{1}{\alpha ^{1/2}} -\alpha ^{1/2} \right )##.

Note that the two terms inside the parentheses are inconsistent with dimensions. Check to make sure you got the correct number of factors of ##\alpha## in front of the J integral.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that the momentum operator has a factor of ##i##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Note that the two terms inside the parentheses are inconsistent with dimensions. Check to make sure you got the correct number of factors of ##\alpha## in front of the J integral.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that the momentum operator has a factor of ##i##.

I see. I've just checked out my 2 integrals with Wolfram Alpha and I didn't make any mistake there. So indeed, it should be in the factor(s) outside the integral(s).

##\hat {\vec p}^2=-\hbar ^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2}##. So already I'm off a sign. I forgot the minus sign in my calculations. I'll recheck the rest and post tomorrow (too late here).
Thank you very much so far.

I've redone the whole algebra but the 2 integrals and I reached that the factor in front of I is ##2c^2\hbar ^2 \alpha## and the one in front of J is ##-4c^2 \hbar ^2 \alpha ^2## which makes the result for the expectation value of the momentum: ##c^2\hbar ^2 \sqrt {\frac{\pi \alpha }{2}}## which is always positive. However I'm not sure the units make sense.
If I'm not wrong, the units of c^2 is density of probability, i.e. 1/m (1 over meter). The units of alpha are 1/m^2 because the exponent must be adimensional. And the units of hbar squared are (J*s)^2, joule per second squared. So I get that the units of expectation of the momentum are J^2s^2/m^2 instead of J.Nevermind I forgot to divide all my algebra by 2m (2 masses). By doing so I get a result for the expectation value of ##\frac{c^2\hbar^2 \sqrt{\pi \alpha }}{2^{3/2}m}##. The units are joule, a unit of energy which is a good sign.

I think that's the right answer.

FAQ: Expectation value of kinetic energy (QM)

What is the expectation value of kinetic energy in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of kinetic energy in quantum mechanics is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a particle in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the probability density function of the particle's position multiplied by its kinetic energy operator.

How is the expectation value of kinetic energy related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The expectation value of kinetic energy takes this principle into account by providing a range of possible values for the particle's kinetic energy.

What is the significance of the expectation value of kinetic energy in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of kinetic energy is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It also helps to illustrate the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the limitations of our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles.

How does the expectation value of kinetic energy differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the kinetic energy of a particle is a well-defined, measurable quantity. However, in quantum mechanics, the concept of a particle having a specific position and momentum is replaced by a wave function that describes the probability of finding the particle in a particular state. The expectation value of kinetic energy takes into account this probabilistic nature and provides a more accurate representation of a particle's kinetic energy.

What factors can affect the expectation value of kinetic energy in a quantum system?

The expectation value of kinetic energy can be influenced by the characteristics of the particle, such as its mass and velocity, as well as the potential energy of the system. It can also be affected by external factors, such as the presence of other particles or external forces, and the uncertainty inherent in quantum mechanics.

Back