Expectation value of spin in an Ising lattice

In summary, the task is to prove that the expressions \left< \sigma^2_{j} \right> - \left \sigma_j \right>^2 \geq 0 and \left< \left( \sigma^_{j} \right> - \sigma_j \right)^2 \right> \geq 0 hold true for a spin-1 Ising paramagnet in an external field h, given the fact that the magnetization is monotonically increasing and a concave function for h > 0. The approach is to use the expression for an arbitrary observable and utilize the properties of concavity and monotonicity to arrive at the desired result.
phagist_

Homework Statement

I have to show that (the question says deduce from the fact that magnetization is monotonically increasing and a concave function for h>0)
[tex] \left< \sigma^2_{j} \right> - \left \sigma_j \right>^2 \geq 0 [/tex]
and [tex]\left< \left( \sigma^_{j} \right> - \sigma_j \right)^2 \right> \geq 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

This in the context of a spin-1 Ising paramagnet in external field [tex]h[/tex]
I have the fact that the magnetization is monotonically increasing and a concave function for [tex]h > 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the expression for an arbitrary observable;
Basically I have;
[tex]\left< \sigma_j \right> = \frac{\sum_{\sigma} \sigma_j e^{\beta h \sum_{j=1}^{N} \sigma_j}}{Z}[/tex]

I'm just not sure how to use the concavity and the fact that m is monotonically increasing to find this result.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I figured it out.

FAQ: Expectation value of spin in an Ising lattice

What is the expectation value of spin in an Ising lattice?

The expectation value of spin in an Ising lattice is a measure of the average spin orientation of the particles in the lattice. It is a key quantity in the study of magnetic systems and is calculated by taking the average of the spin values for each particle in the lattice.

How is the expectation value of spin calculated?

The expectation value of spin is calculated by taking the sum of all the spin values in the lattice and dividing it by the total number of particles in the lattice.

What does the expectation value of spin tell us about the system?

The expectation value of spin provides information about the magnetic properties of the system. It can indicate whether the system is in a state of ferromagnetism, antiferromagnetism, or paramagnetism. It can also give insights into the phase transitions of the system.

What factors can affect the expectation value of spin in an Ising lattice?

The expectation value of spin can be affected by temperature, external magnetic fields, and the interactions between particles in the lattice. It is also dependent on the lattice size and the number of particles in the system.

How is the expectation value of spin used in practical applications?

The expectation value of spin is used in various fields such as material science, condensed matter physics, and statistical mechanics. It is particularly useful in the study of magnetic materials and can provide insights into the behavior of these materials at different temperatures and under different conditions.

Back