Expectation Value Question with Unknown Operator

In summary, Mike is trying to solve a problem involving the expectation value of an observable in terms of its eigenvalues. However, he is confused about what the question is asking and is looking for help. He is grateful for the help given and feels much better after understanding the concept.
mkosmos2

Homework Statement

Consider an observable A associated to an operator A with eigenvalues an.
Using the formula <A> = ∫ψ*Aψ compute the expectation value of A for the following wave function:

[itex]\Psi[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex][itex]\phi_{1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/itex][itex]\phi_{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\phi_{3}[/itex]

where [itex]\phi_{1,2,3}[/itex] are normalized and orthogonal.

Homework Equations

The only other equation I can think of is the eigenvalue equation A[itex]\phi_{n}[/itex]=[itex]a_{n}[/itex][itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] but it really just puts the first part of the question into an equation, which doesn't help. I really can't think of any other relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I need to determine the operator A in order to compute the integral, I'm just having trouble determining A from the given wave equation. I get the feeling this question should be straight forward, yet I'm stuck right off the bat...

Also, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum. I tried reading about what constitutes intro vs. upper level physics, but I'm not familiar with the divisions for junior and senior years in U.S. institutions. Anyways, this question is from my third year Elements of QM course, if that changes anything.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

-Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Since nothing else is mentioned in the question, I think it is safe to assume the eigenvalue equation you have written, i.e. [itex]\hat{A} \phi_n = a_n \phi_n [/itex]. In this case, what is [itex]\hat{A}\psi[/itex]?

Then explicitly find the integral. Remember that [itex]\phi_{1,2,3}[/itex] are all normalized. (What does that mean?)

So the [itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] functions being normalized means that when I integrate [itex]\Psi[/itex], they will each become 1, correct?

I'm still confused as to what happens with the operator. Based on the given information,

[itex]A\Psi=a_{n}[\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\phi_{1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\phi_{2}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\phi_{3}][/itex]

does it not?

Do I not need to know what A represents in order to calculate [itex]a_{n}[/itex], to explicitly calculate the integral?

Sorry, this class is the first time I've been exposed to concepts of QM. They're still pretty confusing for me.

Hi,

It's ok if these are confusing you. Let me explain.

When the question says [itex] A\phi_n = a_n \phi_n [/itex] it means

[tex]A\phi_1 = a_1 \phi_1,~ A\phi_2 = a_2 \phi_2,~A\phi_3 = a_3 \phi_3 [/tex]

The question is asking you to find the expectation of [itex]A[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_1,a_2,a_3[/itex]. You do NOT need to calculate what [itex]a_1,a_2,a_3[/itex] are.

Oh okay, so the values of [itex]a_1, a_2,[/itex] and [itex]a_3[/itex] are given, and I just need to compute [itex]<A>[/itex] as the sum of three separate integrals?

mkosmos2 said:
Oh okay, so the values of [itex]a_1, a_2,[/itex] and [itex]a_3[/itex] are given, and I just need to compute [itex]<A>[/itex] as the sum of three separate integrals?

yes.

Thank you so much! I understand the general idea much better now.

Related to Expectation Value Question with Unknown Operator

1. What is an expectation value question with unknown operator?

An expectation value question with unknown operator is a type of problem commonly encountered in quantum mechanics. It involves calculating the expected value of a physical quantity using an operator that is not explicitly given.

2. How do you approach solving an expectation value question with unknown operator?

The first step in solving an expectation value question with unknown operator is to identify the physical quantity of interest and the relevant operator. Then, using the principles of quantum mechanics, the expectation value can be calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the operator applied to the state vector.

3. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent the most probable outcome of a measurement for a given physical quantity. They also provide important information about the state of a system and can be used to make predictions about future measurements.

4. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. In quantum mechanics, expectation values can take on a wide range of values, including negative values. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum systems and the fact that the expectation value is calculated as an average over all possible outcomes.

5. How can one verify the accuracy of an expectation value calculation?

One way to verify the accuracy of an expectation value calculation is to compare it with experimental measurements. If the calculated expectation value is consistent with the experimental results, then it can be considered accurate. Additionally, the calculation can be checked using mathematical techniques and by following the principles of quantum mechanics.