Expectation values for a harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discussed the need to find <x>, <x²>, <p>, and <p²> for a particle in the first state of a harmonic oscillator. The equations used were for the harmonic oscillator in the first state, the definition for <Q>, and the operators for <x²> and <p²>. It was determined that for <x²>, the operator is simply multiplication by x², and for <p²>, the operator is -\int \psi^{*}(x) \hbar^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x) dx.
KaiserBrandon

Homework Statement

I need to find <x>, <x2>, <p>, and <p2> for a particle in the first state of a harmonic oscillator.

Homework Equations

The harmonic oscillator in the first state is described by [tex]\psi[/tex](x)=A[tex]\alpha[/tex]1/2*x*e-[tex]\alpha[/tex]*x2/2. I'm using the definition <Q>=([tex]\int[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex]1*Q*[tex]\psi[/tex])dx where [tex]\psi[/tex]1 is the complex conjugate of [tex]\psi[/tex], and Q is the specific operator.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for <x>, and found it was zero. <p> I'll solve for in a similar fashion. However, for <x2> and <p2>, I am unsure of what operators I use. For the <x> operator, it is simply x, so for <x2>, would I use x2 as an operator?
(note that I the only superscripts here are the ones above e, I don't know why latex is putting all of my symbols so high

Physics news on Phys.org
KaiserBrandon said:
For the <x> operator, it is simply x, so for <x2>, would I use x2 as an operator?

Yes, that's what you should use.

(Put the whole equation in the tex barackets instead of individual symbols)

The operator for <x²> is simply multiplication by x², so <x²> = ∫ψ*(x)x²ψ(x)dx, and <p²> is

[tex] -\int \psi^{*}(x) \hbar^2\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\psi(x) dx [/tex]

ok, thank you so much guys. It's a good thing I have physics forum to at least make my new ventures into the realm of quantum mechanics a bit easier :)

)I would like to clarify a few points about the question before providing a response. Firstly, it is not clear what is meant by "the first state of a harmonic oscillator." A harmonic oscillator can have multiple states, each with its own wavefunction and expectation values. It would be helpful to specify which state is being referred to in this question.

Secondly, the wavefunction provided in the problem does not seem to be normalized, which would make it difficult to use for calculating expectation values. It would be important to normalize the wavefunction before using it to calculate expectation values.

Now, for the response, let's assume that the first state of the harmonic oscillator refers to the ground state, which has a wavefunction of \psi(x)=Ae^(-\alpha*x^2/2). In this case, the expectation values can be calculated as follows:

<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x|\psi(x)|^2 dx = 0 (since the integrand is an odd function)

<x^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2|\psi(x)|^2 dx = \frac{1}{2\alpha} (since the integrand is a Gaussian function)

<p> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x)(-i\hbar)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\psi(x) dx = 0 (since the integrand is an odd function)

<p^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x)(-i\hbar)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[(-i\hbar)\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\psi(x)\right] dx = \hbar^2\alpha (since the integrand is a Gaussian function)

In summary, for the ground state of a harmonic oscillator, the expectation values for position and momentum are zero, while the expectation values for position squared and momentum squared are \frac{1}{2\alpha} and \hbar^2\alpha, respectively.

FAQ: Expectation values for a harmonic oscillator

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior around a stable equilibrium point. It is described mathematically by the harmonic oscillator equation, which is a second-order differential equation.

2. What are expectation values for a harmonic oscillator?

Expectation values for a harmonic oscillator are the average values of a physical quantity (such as position, momentum, or energy) over a large number of identical measurements. They are calculated using the wave function of the harmonic oscillator and the operators for the corresponding physical quantities.

3. How do expectation values relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical quantities can be known simultaneously. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum is always greater than or equal to a specific value, known as the reduced Planck's constant. This relationship is reflected in the calculation of expectation values for the position and momentum operators.

4. Can expectation values be measured experimentally?

Yes, expectation values can be measured experimentally by performing repeated measurements on identical systems and calculating the average values. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, this could involve measuring the position, momentum, or energy of the oscillator multiple times and then taking the average of these values.

5. How do expectation values change for different energy levels in a harmonic oscillator?

In a harmonic oscillator, the energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. As the energy level increases, the expectation values for position and momentum also increase. However, the uncertainty in these values also increases, in accordance with the uncertainty principle.

Back