Expectation values for expanded wave functions

In summary: So when you insert those eigenkets in the expression, it's like tossing a coin and getting different outcomes, which is why different indices are used for the summations. This is just a mathematical representation of the concept of eigenstates and eigenvalues in quantum mechanics. In summary, when working with wave functions represented as a linear combination of an orthonormal basis set, the use of different indices in the summations is simply a result of expanding the product of two sums and does not affect the overall calculation.
betba
So I'm a little confused on the notation when working with wave functions constructed as a linear combination of an orthornormal basis set. Like on the form:

[itex]\Phi[/itex]=Ʃn cnψn

If I want to find the expectation value represented by the operator O for the state described by [itex]\Phi[/itex], I would calculate the inner product between [itex]\Phi[/itex] and O[itex]\Phi[/itex], like:

<[itex]\Phi[/itex]|O|[itex]\Phi[/itex]> = ∫dq [itex]\Phi[/itex]*(q)O[itex]\Phi[/itex](q) (assuming [itex]\Phi[/itex] is normalized so <[itex]\Phi[/itex]|[itex]\Phi[/itex]> = 1)

And now comes the question: When I insert the expanded wave function, why is 2 different indices used for the summations/basis functions:

<[itex]\Phi[/itex]|O|[itex]\Phi[/itex]> = ∫dq(Ʃn cnn*)O(Ʃm cmψm)

This is how the derivations look like in most textbooks, and I don't understand the difference between n and m. I would think the indices should be the same, as it is the same wave function, [itex]\Phi[/itex].

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not an issue of wave functions or quantum mechanics. That is simply algebra: how you expand the product of a sum. Observe:
[tex]
(a+b+c)*(a+b+c) = a*(a+b+c) + b*(a+b+c) + c*(a+b+c) = a*a + a*b + a*c + b*a + b*b + ...
[/tex]
That is exactly what you are doing in this case. Note that the result is not simply
[tex]a*b+b*b+c*c.[/tex]

But why use 2 different sums for the same wave function? [itex]\Phi[/itex] is equal to Ʃncnψn, not Ʃmcmψm. Or cleary it is, but then n = m?? Then why not just only use n in the first place?

betba said:
But why use 2 different sums for the same wave function? [itex]\Phi[/itex] is equal to Ʃncnψn, not Ʃmcmψm. Or cleary it is, but then n = m?? Then why not just only use n in the first place?

[itex]\Phi=\sum c_n \Psi_n[/itex] is the short form for [itex]\Phi=\Psi_1 + \Psi_2 + \Psi_3 + \ldots + \Psi_N[/itex]. Please think for a second about what happens when you insert this expression in two places into an expression like [itex]\Phi\cdot\Phi[/itex]. Play it through with an example with two terms if you must. Again, this has nothing at all to do with quantum mechanics or wave functions: This is elementary algebra, expanding the product of two sums!

Im not sure what your point is (maybe I am just very bone-headed). I know how to expand the product of 2 sums. Thats not the problem. The problem is inserting 2 different expressions for the same wave function. Like putting it your way:

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = [itex]\psi[/itex]1 + [itex]\psi[/itex]2 + [itex]\psi[/itex]3...[itex]\psi[/itex]n

When calculating the product [itex]\Phi[/itex]*[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex] I insert the expression for [itex]\Phi[/itex]:

([itex]\psi[/itex]1 + [itex]\psi[/itex]2 + [itex]\psi[/itex]3...[itex]\psi[/itex]n)*[itex]\cdot[/itex]([itex]\psi[/itex]1 + [itex]\psi[/itex]2 + [itex]\psi[/itex]3...[itex]\psi[/itex]n) and get n2 terms. Here I clearly inserted the same expression for [itex]\Phi[/itex].
In all textbooks I've read so far, what is actually inserted is:

[itex]\Phi[/itex]*[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex] = ([itex]\psi[/itex]1 + [itex]\psi[/itex]2 + [itex]\psi[/itex]3...[itex]\psi[/itex]n)*[itex]\cdot[/itex]([itex]\psi[/itex]1 + [itex]\psi[/itex]2 + [itex]\psi[/itex]3...[itex]\psi[/itex]m)

What does this m mean? Why don't they use n for both sums. Its the same wave function?

A link to a derivation of the variational method/principle http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/notes/quantrev/node28.html

Here the indices i and j are used interchangeably, and I don't understand why.

I think that n and m are index of summation. If you have learned mathematics about Σ summation you should have known that these numbers mean sum over these numbers of terms.

In quantum mechanics, states are usually represented by these wave functions and bras and kets. Then these numbers are basically number of eigenkets or eigenfunctions that can form a complete set which is a basis. Basis are just like x y z in describing position. This is my personal view.

Basis in quantum mechanics are like tossing a quantum coin with eigenkets |head> and |tail>, which are sufficient to describe the whole system.

FAQ: Expectation values for expanded wave functions

1. What are expectation values for expanded wave functions?

Expectation values for expanded wave functions are a way to measure the average value of a variable in a quantum system. They are calculated by taking the inner product of the wave function with the operator for the variable of interest. This value represents the most probable outcome for the variable in a large number of measurements.

2. How are expectation values calculated?

To calculate expectation values for expanded wave functions, you first need to determine the wave function for the system. Then, you need to find the operator for the variable you are interested in. Next, you take the inner product of the wave function and the operator, and finally, you take the complex conjugate of this value and multiply it by the original inner product. This final value is the expectation value for the variable.

3. What do expectation values tell us about a quantum system?

Expectation values give us information about the most probable outcome for a variable in a quantum system. They can also provide insights into the overall behavior of the system and how it may evolve over time. Expectation values are an important tool in quantum mechanics for predicting and understanding the behavior of particles and systems.

4. How do expectation values change with time?

The expectation values for expanded wave functions can change with time as the system evolves. This is because the wave function itself can change over time, leading to different probabilities for the variable of interest. Expectation values can also change due to the application of external forces or interactions with other particles in the system.

5. Can expectation values be measured experimentally?

Yes, expectation values can be measured experimentally through repeated measurements of the variable of interest. These measurements can then be compared to the theoretical expectation value calculated from the wave function and operator. In quantum mechanics, measurements can have inherent uncertainty, so multiple measurements are needed to accurately determine the expectation value.