Expectation values of harmonic oscillator in general state

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the equality <V> = (1/2)<E> for a harmonic oscillator in a general superposition of energy eigenstates. It is argued that this equality may not hold due to cross terms between energy eigenstates in the superposition state. This is demonstrated through the example of translating the ground state very far from the minimum of the potential.
Jomenvisst
So, this has been bothering me for a while.

Lets say we have the wavefunction of a harmonic oscillator as a general superposition of energy eigenstates:

[itex]\Psi = \sum c_{n} \psi _{n} exp(i(E_{n}-E_{m})t/h)[/itex]

Is it true in this case that <V> =(1/2) <E> .

I tried calculating this but i get something like

<V> = < [itex]\Psi |V| \Psi [/itex] > = (1/2)<E> + some other term that does not seem to be zero generally.

However, it seems to me that <V> =(1/2) <E> should be true even in this case, since
[itex] <V>_{n} = <\psi_{n} | V | \psi_{n} > = (1/2) <E> [/itex] for every n.

Physics news on Phys.org
The superposition state is no longer stationary. The derivation of the virial theorem (Davydov, Sect 17 from Chapter II) will not be valid.

Thank you for the answer.

I agree with that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that <V>(t) != (1/2) <E>. I still feel the equality should hold.

To see that it shouldn't hold, imagine taking the ground state and translating it very far from the minimum of the potential. This doesn't change the kinetic energy, but makes the potential energy very large. Clearly, <V> no longer equals (1/2)<E>.

This comes from the fact that when you compute <V> in your superposition of energy eigenstates, you will get a bunch of cross terms between the energy eigenstates that spoil the relation <V> = (1/2)<E>

FAQ: Expectation values of harmonic oscillator in general state

1. What is the general state of a harmonic oscillator?

The general state of a harmonic oscillator is a quantum state that describes the position and momentum of the oscillator at a given time. It is represented by a wave function that follows the Schrödinger equation.

2. What is the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator in a general state?

The expectation value of a harmonic oscillator in a general state is the average value of its position or momentum, calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the operator for position or momentum.

3. How is the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator in a general state different from its classical counterpart?

In classical mechanics, the position and momentum of a harmonic oscillator are well-defined quantities. However, in quantum mechanics, they are described by a probability distribution given by the wave function. The expectation value takes this probabilistic nature into account and is not equivalent to the classical value.

4. How does the potential energy affect the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator in a general state?

The potential energy affects the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator by changing the average position and momentum of the oscillator. A higher potential energy will result in a lower expectation value for position and a higher expectation value for momentum.

5. Can the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator can be negative. This can occur when the wave function has both positive and negative values, resulting in a cancellation of positive and negative contributions to the expectation value.