Expected number of 5 in n tosses of die

• Thread starter eprparadox
  • Start date
In summary: The question asked for a proof that the expected value of the number of 5s (or 1s, 2s etc) in N trials is N/6.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

Show that the expected number of 5's in n tosses of a die is n/6.

Homework Equations

x = random variable representing the number of 5's

[tex]E\left( x\right) =\sum _{i}p_{i}x_{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The probability of getting i 5's in n tosses is:

[tex]\left( \dfrac {1} {6}\right) ^{i}\left( \dfrac {5} {6}\right) ^{n-i}[/tex]

So the expectation value of x is:

[tex]E\left( x\right) =\sum _{i=0}^{n}i\left( \dfrac {1} {6}\right) ^{i}\cdot \left( \dfrac {5} {6}\right) ^{n-i}[/tex]

I typed this into wolframalpha and I don't get n/6 as I thought I would.

I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]E\left( x\right) =\sum _{i=0}^{n}i\left( \dfrac {1} {6}\right) ^{i}\cdot \left( \dfrac {5} {6}\right) ^{n-i}[/tex]

I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You're claiming that ##p_i=\left( \dfrac {1} {6}\right) ^{i}\left( \dfrac {5} {6}\right) ^{n-i}## is the probability of ##i## ##5##s from ##n## tosses.

What should be true of ##\sum\limits_{i=0}^np_i##? Is that, in fact, true?

eprparadox said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You have the wrong formula for the probability of i 5's in n tosses. Try writing out the "event" for small i and n, say for n = 4 and i = 1 (where the outcomes are 1 '5' and 3 'o's, o = 'other' = non-five.

Ah, thanks so much. The sum of the probabilities has to be 1. And what I forgot was the number of ways that each number of 5's could appear which is C(n, i).

With that addition, the expectation then does come out to n/6.

Thanks again!

eprparadox said:
Ah, thanks so much. The sum of the probabilities has to be 1. And what I forgot was the number of ways that each number of 5's could appear which is C(n, i).

With that addition, the expectation then does come out to n/6.

Thanks again!

OK, so now that you have it I am willing to show you a much more general and much easier way, using 'indicator variables". Let
[tex] I_i = \begin{cases} 1, \text{ if toss }i = 5\\
0 , \text{ otherwise}
\end{cases}[/tex]
The number of 5s in ##n## tosses is ##N = \sum_{i=1}^n I_i##. Using linearity of expectation we have
[tex] E N = \sum_{i=1}^n E I_i = n/5,[/tex]
because ##EI_1 = EI_2 = \cdots = E I_n = 1/5.##

@Ray don't you mean EI_i = 1/6?

That is a stupid question. In order to calculate the answer you have to assume that the die is fair. What is the definition of fair? That the expected value of the number of 5s (or 1s, 2s etc) in N trials is N/6.

dirk_mec1 said:
@Ray don't you mean EI_i = 1/6?

Yes, of course.

MrAnchovy said:
That is a stupid question. In order to calculate the answer you have to assume that the die is fair. What is the definition of fair? That the expected value of the number of 5s (or 1s, 2s etc) in N trials is N/6.

Why do you think it a stupid question to ask for a proof of
[tex] \sum_{i=0}^n i {n \choose i} (1/6)^i (5/6)^{n-i} = n/6\:?[/tex]

MrAnchovy said:
In order to calculate the answer you have to assume that the die is fair.

That is ALWAYS the assumption in such problems unless otherwise stated.

Ray Vickson said:
But that is not what the question asked for. It's as if the question asked "show that the distance from any point on the circumference of a circle to the centre is constant" and you proceeded to "prove" it by saying "well the equation for a circle is ## \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = r ## so...", the equation that you are using is derived from the proposition in the question and it is valid if and only if the propostion is true - you can't hoist yourself by your bootstraps and use this to prove the proposition.

phinds said:
That is ALWAYS the assumption in such problems unless otherwise stated.
That is exactly my point: having made that assumption there is nothing further to show.

MrAnchovy said:
But that is not what the question asked for. It's as if the question asked "show that the distance from any point on the circumference of a circle to the centre is constant" and you proceeded to "prove" it by saying "well the equation for a circle is ## \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = r ## so...", the equation that you are using is derived from the proposition in the question and it is valid if and only if the propostion is true - you can't hoist yourself by your bootstraps and use this to prove the proposition.

That is exactly my point: having made that assumption there is nothing further to show.

You say "But that is not what the question asked for". On the contrary, that is exactly what the question asked for. However, I do not wish to debate this issue further.

Ray Vickson said:

I think "verification" would be better than "proof", but I agree that this would not be a stupid question.

MrAnchovy said:
I think "verification" would be better than "proof", but I agree that this would not be a stupid question.

Right: I can live with "verification", which is more-or-less how I interpret it anyway.

Related to Expected number of 5 in n tosses of die

1. What is the expected number of 5s when rolling a die n times?

The expected number of 5s when rolling a die n times is n/6. This means that for every 6 rolls, one can expect to get 1 5. So if you roll the die 12 times, you can expect to get 2 5s.

2. How is the expected number of 5s calculated?

The expected number of 5s is calculated by multiplying the number of rolls (n) by the probability of getting a 5 (1/6). This can be written as n * (1/6) = n/6.

3. Is the expected number of 5s a guarantee?

No, the expected number of 5s is not a guarantee. It is a prediction based on probability, so it is possible to get more or less 5s than the expected value.

4. How does the number of tosses (n) affect the expected number of 5s?

The expected number of 5s is directly proportional to the number of tosses (n). This means that as n increases, the expected number of 5s also increases. For example, if you roll the die 100 times, you can expect to get around 16.67 5s.

5. Can the expected number of 5s change for different types of dice?

Yes, the expected number of 5s can change for different types of dice. For example, if you roll a 6-sided die with numbers 1-6, the expected number of 5s will be different compared to rolling a 20-sided die with numbers 1-20. This is because the probability of getting a 5 will be different for each type of die.