Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory

• Thread starter slakedlime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: R}##. But you can't be sure that you'll actually end up with that amount. The professor's solution says that when you invest in more and more assets, the variability (or standard deviation) of your final wealth becomes smaller and smaller, but your expected wealth remains ##100+100\bar{R}##.
slakedlime

Homework Statement

My economics exam is in a few days. My professor posted solutions to a sample final, and I'm confused by one of the answers. I won't have access to him before the exam, so I can't ask him to clarify. I'm hoping that someone here can help.

____

QUESTION:
You have $100 at hand to invest. You can invest in many assets with independent returns over the next month following a normal distribution N ~ ([itex]\bar{R}[/itex], [itex]σ^{2}_{R}[/itex]).

1) If you choose a portfolio with equal weight on n such assets. What will be the distribution of your wealth at the end of the month?

2) Use this calculation to illustrate the benefits of diversification. In particular, if you are risk averse, what value of n you would choose.2. Homework Equations & attempt at a solution

Please see the attachment for my professor's solution. What I don't understand is highlighted in green. For n = ∞, why is the expected return at least 100(1+[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]) and not simply 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex], which is the case for n in general (as my professor has shown)?

I understand why the standard deviation of the portfolio approaches zero as n approaches infinity, and why a portfolio of n assets is (theoretically) riskless.

____

An explanation, or guidance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• portfolio theory answers.png
    portfolio theory answers.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right that the return is ##100\bar{R}##. And what your professor actually says is: "I would get ##100(1+\bar{R})## for sure at the end of the period". So, if he is not talking about the return, what is he talking about here? Think what does ##100(1+\bar{R})## correspond to? (I'm guessing that essentially this is just a problem of slightly vague wording).

Thank you for your reply Bruce. If we break down 100(1+[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]) into its components, we have 100 + 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]. Is my professor trying to say that this is the final accumulation that I end up with? That is, i) I will have my original $100. ii) on top of that, I will have returns that should theoretically equal 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]? That is, I can expect to always keep my original $100 in this scenario because my portfolio is "riskless".

If I don't have a riskless portfolio, i.e. I invest n times, then I won't be able to keep my original $100 for certain. Is that the case? If yes, how would I calculate the final accumulated amount? Would that simply be my returns, i.e. 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex], or would I be keeping some part of my original investment on top of that?

Please let me know if I am understanding you correctly, or if I have misunderstood something. Thank you.

slakedlime said:

Homework Statement

My economics exam is in a few days. My professor posted solutions to a sample final, and I'm confused by one of the answers. I won't have access to him before the exam, so I can't ask him to clarify. I'm hoping that someone here can help.

____

QUESTION:
You have $100 at hand to invest. You can invest in many assets with independent returns over the next month following a normal distribution N ~ ([itex]\bar{R}[/itex], [itex]σ^{2}_{R}[/itex]).

1) If you choose a portfolio with equal weight on n such assets. What will be the distribution of your wealth at the end of the month?

2) Use this calculation to illustrate the benefits of diversification. In particular, if you are risk averse, what value of n you would choose.2. Homework Equations & attempt at a solution

Please see the attachment for my professor's solution. What I don't understand is highlighted in green. For n = ∞, why is the expected return at least 100(1+[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]) and not simply 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex], which is the case for n in general (as my professor has shown)?

I understand why the standard deviation of the portfolio approaches zero as n approaches infinity, and why a portfolio of n assets is (theoretically) riskless.

____

An explanation, or guidance would be much appreciated.

I think there is an error in the document. Look at the last sentence of question 1, where it says "...your wealth at the end is ##100 N(\bar{R}, \sigma_R^2/n)##. So, it implies that you start with $100 and end up with $100X, where ##X \sim N(\bar{R}, \sigma_R^2/n)##. For ##n \to \infty## this clearly implies that your wealth will be ##100 \bar{R}##. Question 2 contradicts this; it implies that your wealth will be ##100 (1+\bar{R})##.

Added note: for the situation describe in question 1, the investment is riskless when ##n = \infty##; you end up with all of your original $100, plus an earned amount of ##100(\bar{R}-1)##. That means that if ##\bar{R} > 1## you make a profit for sure.

Last edited:
slakedlime said:
Thank you for your reply Bruce. If we break down 100(1+[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]) into its components, we have 100 + 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]. Is my professor trying to say that this is the final accumulation that I end up with? That is, i) I will have my original $100. ii) on top of that, I will have returns that should theoretically equal 100[itex]\bar{R}[/itex]? That is, I can expect to always keep my original $100 in this scenario because my portfolio is "riskless".
yes. That's what I think he is saying. Your return is (almost) certain to be ##100\bar{R}## and your original investment is ##100##, so at the end, the money you will have is (almost) certain to be ##100+100\bar{R}##.

slakedlime said:
If I don't have a riskless portfolio, i.e. I invest n times, then I won't be able to keep my original $100 for certain. Is that the case? If yes, how would I calculate the final accumulated amount? Would that simply be my returns, i.e. 100R¯, or would I be keeping some part of my original investment on top of that?
well, if the portfolio has some risk, then (as the professor's solution says), the return will be some random amount ##100R^p## this could be 10, or a million, or negative a million, or anything. So, true, in some cases, you will end up with less than the original ##100##, and in some cases, you will even end up with a negative amount! You know that the average return is ##100\bar{R}##, so the average money you end up with is ##100+100\bar{R}##, i.e. the same as for the riskless portfolio.

Ray Vickson said:
I think there is an error in the document. Look at the last sentence of question 1, where it says "...your wealth at the end is ##100 N(\bar{R}, \sigma_R^2/n)##. So, it implies that you start with $100 and end up with $100X, where ##X \sim N(\bar{R}, \sigma_R^2/n)##. For ##n \to \infty## this clearly implies that your wealth will be ##100 \bar{R}##. Question 2 contradicts this; it implies that your wealth will be ##100 (1+\bar{R})##.
I think it is just bad wording. When it says "your wealth is" I think it means "the return will be". And when it says "I would get ##100(1+\bar{R})## for sure at the end of the period" I think it means "the total money I will have at the end". (since return is how much you gain, not the total money).

BruceW said:
I think it is just bad wording. When it says "your wealth is" I think it means "the return will be". And when it says "I would get ##100(1+\bar{R})## for sure at the end of the period" I think it means "the total money I will have at the end". (since return is how much you gain, not the total money).

Yes, I do understand the differences, but the OP is confused by it. I maintain that the document--exactly as written--has errors in it.

Thank you both for your answers. I was really confused by the poor wording of the document, but I think I understand what my professor is trying to say. :)

Related to Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory

What is the concept of "Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory"?

The concept of "Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory" refers to the expected return on a portfolio of assets when the number of assets (n) approaches infinity and the distribution of returns for each asset follows a normal distribution. This theory is based on the idea that by diversifying a portfolio with a large number of assets that have normally distributed returns, an investor can minimize risk and maximize returns.

How is the expected return calculated for a portfolio with n = ∞ and normally distributed assets?

The expected return for a portfolio with n = ∞ and normally distributed assets is calculated by taking the weighted average of the expected returns for each individual asset in the portfolio. The weights for each asset are determined by the proportion of the portfolio that is invested in that asset. This calculation assumes that the returns for each asset are normally distributed and that there is no correlation between the returns of different assets.

What is the significance of n = ∞ in the context of expected return and portfolio theory?

In the context of expected return and portfolio theory, n = ∞ represents an infinite number of assets in a portfolio. This signifies the idea that as the number of assets in a portfolio approaches infinity, the risk of the portfolio decreases and the expected return approaches the maximum possible return. This is based on the principle of diversification, which states that by spreading investments across a large number of assets, an investor can minimize risk and maximize returns.

What are the assumptions underlying the concept of "Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory"?

The concept of "Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory" is based on several key assumptions. These include the assumption that the returns for each asset in the portfolio are normally distributed, that there is no correlation between the returns of different assets, and that the investor has access to an infinite number of assets to include in their portfolio. Additionally, this concept assumes that investors are risk-averse and seek to maximize returns while minimizing risk.

How does the concept of "Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory" apply to real-world investment strategies?

The concept of "Expected return for n = ∞, normally dist. assets, portfolio theory" is a fundamental concept in modern portfolio theory and is widely used in real-world investment strategies. It provides a framework for understanding how to diversify a portfolio to minimize risk and maximize returns. However, in practice, it is not possible to have an infinite number of assets in a portfolio, and the assumptions underlying this concept may not always hold true. As such, investors must carefully consider these factors when applying this theory to real-world investment strategies.

Back